Options

Currenly working on CCNA, but want to pursue VCP5... Is this an odd to have?

$hortCircuit$hortCircuit Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just wondering if the CCNA and VCP5 is an odd couple of certifications to have on my resume? I love networking and also love the virtualization stuff. There seems to be plenty of opportunity in both VM and Cisco. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.

Feel free to speak your mind. All input will help.:D

Comments

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I wouldn't say so. Virtualization relies strongly on networking for storage as well as interconnectability. It will leave you not completely specialized and able to continue further down either road that you choose. You'll find that a lot of companies with smaller IT teams will really like that you have knowledge in both as well as a lot of management positions in larger companies.

I'm actually doing the same thing in the opposite order. I just finished up VCP5 a few months ago and am starting on CCNA now.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Not odd at all, as you can see I have both. Knowing both will serve you well going forward.
  • Options
    I thought it wouldn't be a bad thing to have both. A professor in IT a local school told me not to waste my time with having both(sounded slightly fishy). Not sure if it was because they supported COMPTIA and Cisco. I found out that self studying was much cheaper than attending trade schools for certs(in most cases, not all). A little clarity from the people that actually work in the field is much more assuring about my goals for this year.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    To be good in virtualization you need to understand virtualization, networking, guest OS/applications & storage.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It is not important what looks good or bad on a resume, it matters what you love to do - only then you are able to become an expert - no point in getting certs by looks. It might look bad though to put up a CCNA and Pigfarming Professional together though ;)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    It is not important what looks good or bad on a resume, it matters what you love to do - only then you are able to become an expert - no point in getting certs by looks. It might look bad though to put up a CCNA and Pigfarming Professional together though ;)
    I love both the virtualization and networking. I am quite the pig farmer. I got some big healthy hogs, so I can't exclude that from my resume! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I should probably put my chickens on there too then :D
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    As long as they are hand fed all natural with names and their own coupes.. Then it would be a plus
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    If you're ultimate goal is to design or support an entire virtualized infrastructure, you will need CCNA level networking knowledge and beyond.

So no, it's not odd at all, I would expect most any VCP to have at least CCNA level knowledge.
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Having my CCNA helped me in my studies for the VCP. Networking is get larger and larger in the virtual world.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Absolutely not! Go for it!

Virtualization still relies on networking for communication. Truthfully, theres no IT operation out there that doesnt rely on networking as the backbone of operations. Having any networking experience at all is always a plus, and pairing that experience with a new and upcoming technology such as virtualization is a no brainer. Great decision. Good luck!
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The CCNA is a great foundation for just about every role in IT, imo.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.