Hmm.. where to next? CCENT or Linux+?

sec_wizsec_wiz Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I currently hold a CompTIA Sec+ and are sitting my Net+ within the next 2 days.

I would eventually like to get into IT Security (and sit my OSCP, CEH etc. exams).

I am wondering which cert would be the next step? I am contemplating over CCENT or Linux+

Appreciate advice and opinions!

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CCNA is good to know. More so because you should cover how packets travel. Once that's learned, CCNA:Security opens up more VPN discussions, more instances of problems and solutions.

Linux+ will give you a good basic understand of linux, An understanding of Linux is almost needed. Not to say you'll use it a lot. But it'll be good to use some tools, I'm sure.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    CCNA Security

Additional Studies for OSCP
    Udacity CS101 (free)
    SPSE - SecurityTube Python Scripting Expert
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree. You're going to need some solid networking knowledge and I wouldn't waste time on the CCENT unless you were tight on money at the money or had a limited amount of time to pick up a certification. Go straight for the CCNA and CCNA security. I don't know how much weight linux + really holds in the IT industry since I've never really seen an employer ask for it. They usually ask for unix/linux experience but linux + may still be a step in the right direction.