Options

Virtual Server or Virtual Server Box

ForeverIT27ForeverIT27 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just started studying for 70-640 and was wondering if having a physical machine with Server 08 R2 would be better than just putting running a Virtual Server 08 R2 on Virtual PC on my desktop would be good. I have been putting this exams on and off for a while now. I have decided to try and get it done earlier than later so any advice or opinion would much appreciate it. I am starting a class at New Horizon next month, so I'm trying to get a few things together and start some labbing before my classes start.

Comments

• Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    My vote is to keep it in a virtual environment. One: You ought to plan for a couple servers and a couple clients, so do you have 4 unused PC's stitting around the house? Two: You'll be reconfiguring all the time. With virtual disks you can easily create clones or syncpoints; installing OSs within "real" partitions/volumes means reinstalling them all the time. I could think of other reasons ... but all lead to using a virtual environment.
  • Options
    I do have 2 Physical P4 HT PCs sitting in the garage I could use, also downloaded Server 08 R2 trial version from Microsoft. I just hate to go between my personal PC so the physical server all the time just for my studies. I would love to just sit at my desktop and do everything while I'm on it. My current personal PC has a decent configuration and enough hardware that would allow me to run Server 08 R2 in virtual mode on it and just configure a couple of client on it for my studies.
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you don't want to setup a dedicated box then using virtualBox will work fine as long as your desktop has the hardware to run a couple different servers at once. Some of the labs require 2-3 servers all running at the same time. And if you want to design your own labs they can get larger. so go with ever best suits you.
  • Options
    I will install Server 08 R2 Virtual on my personal PC and go on from there. My current personal PC specs is a custom built with an ASUS P8z68 v pro with an i5 2500k OC to 4.2Ghz Quad, 24GB DDR3 1600Mhz Rams, XFX 7950 2GB Memory dedicated, windows 7 pro 64bit, with the OS running on a Samsung 256GB 830 Series SDD. There is 1.5TB and a 640GB storage drive in it, I also have a couple of 500GB hdds in a dock that I switch back and forth for running other programs/games. I am SURE I will be fine running the Virtual Server 08 on this. If you guys have any other advice of opinions as to have to configure the Virtual Server and the Clients to make everything run smoothly I would appreciate it.

Thanks
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would recommend virtual for one main reason. Once you install 2008 Server R2, you can create snapshots along the way. That way if you want to go back to a fresh install, just resort back to that snapshot rather than having to do a fresh install.

Good luck!
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    thank you all for the great reply. I've been reading a lot about how tough this exam is. Kind of intimidating sometimes. I try to put in 2 hrs every night watching Train Signal and other videos and going through some notes, but I really can't get myself to sit and read the book, any tips?
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try reading the chapter in the book after watching the video. Example, watch the video from CBT nuggets or trainsignal on DNS, then go and read the chapter on it. That's what i did. the book doesnt look as bad when you take it in smaller chunks.
  • Options
    Will give it a shot, I was never a big reader, and this is playing a big part in this struggle. I am though, going to give it all the options to try and read a page or chapter after watching the video like you said. Something has to work.
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cruwl wrote: »
    Try reading the chapter in the book after watching the video. Example, watch the video from CBT nuggets or trainsignal on DNS, then go and read the chapter on it. That's what i did. the book doesnt look as bad when you take it in smaller chunks.

I agree. I used CBT Nuggets, and I would watch the videos before reading the chapter. That made going through the book easier because a lot of it already made sense. Also, break your focus down to lessons rather than chapters. After about an hour, take a 10 minute break to clear your mind. These are the things I did and it helped.

Good luck!
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+