Options

Best Path towards Systems Administrator

chininochinino Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi forum,

I am currently a backup administrator (NetBackup, TSM, and ARCserve), but I would like to extend my opportunities by becoming a systems administrator. Do you guys have any advise to what path or road should I travel. I already have an MIS from college, but want to do this on my own, and by taking courses, etc.

thanks.
My 2014 Goals:

MCSA Windows Server 2012: 70-410 [ ] 70-411 [ ] 70-412 [ ]
VMware Certified Associate-Data Center Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
CompTIA Storage+: SGO-001 [ ]

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the certs you have listed as your 2012 Goals are a good start.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agreed. Assuming you want a Windows focus, MCSA 2008 (MCITP:SA) is a great start. Combined with your experience it could even be "enough" to get you into a different position.

CCNA or at least Net+ also helps a lot, especially if you are not strong in networking. Even if you are strong, then either one should be fairly easy.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Based on my 12+ years experience, System Administrator is not a job role but a culture ... in all my IT life I have never been called System Admin :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Yeah, sys admin is so broad...best advice is to get your hands on everything you're allowed to, show you're eager to learn and that you have a positive ROI.

Have you asked for more responsibilities and duties? Have you showed interests in other technologies at work? Have you asked for team cross-training or mentoring? Managers will often be receptive to these things.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm up for a potential transfer from helpdesk to sysadmin where I work. Applied for the internal position a week ago and took their test yesterday. Only two of us helpdesk(out of like 7 total) guys applied for the position and we finally mentioned it to each other today lol. If you're with a company that has this role open I'd suggest you look for internal postings. I'll find out next week either way if I get the position or not.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens