Options

Tablets in the Enterprise

spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
Just posting a thread to see if anyone has an organization that has introduced tablets into their Enterprises? In my last organization, they refused to integrate iPads because of a lack of an integrated management solution (meaning integration with Active Directory and granular control) and Apple's denying request to give access to the source code of iOS. My current organization is using Blackberry Playbooks. The thinking, according to one person I spoke to, is Blackberry has BES, secure emails and encryption are the main reasons cited for introducing them. A few of my coworkers were a little curious about this decision given Server 2012 upcoming release and Windows 8/Surface tablet on the horizon.

Comments

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Blackberry products stink and RIM has been a sinking ship for the last few years. See how long THAT lasts in the enterprise. There are many big names offering MDM solutions that cater to iOS and Android devices. Some are appliance based, some are cloud based. Meraki even offers are free solution that covers the basic needs.

My state is evaluating solutions from Symantec, Sybase, Good and I believe even Verizon.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    Internally we have a Bring Your Own Device policy. I last heard that there's a push to use MobileIron. Also heard of another MDM solution called Good_____ (something). Can't think of the name.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    MobileIron is pretty granular, but expensive. Good Technology is kinda buggy from what I have read. There's a guy on Spiceworks that has a nice review of nearly all of them.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    AnthonyFAnthonyF Member Posts: 109
    We just got picked to be part of an iPad Pilot with the intent to try and integrate them into NIPR. I will shoot you what I dig up on the pilot to your .mil. Currently we have a bunch floating around but they external to the network.
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Before the Blackberry Playbook selection and a unified enterprise solution, we used Good Server. So there were Playbooks, iPads, iPhones, Samsungs being used in our network, but I guess there was an issue with the licensing and support for multiple devices.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Apple denies access to the source code for iOS? Besides the Linux distros most OSs don't allow access to the source code?
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Software and hardware makers get access to certain portions of source code and specifications (Apple does this as does Microsoft) to increase development of quality software, but nobody offering a commercially developed proprietary OS (from what is currently available) provides complete documented source code access.