Options

Drinking with co-workers

ClapDemCheeksClapDemCheeks Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
Where i work, management likes to setup "events" where everyone goes to a bar and drink. Now i don't drink, so how do i tell them that i will not participate because i dont drink. Will i be seen as a loser?

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not everyone goes to the bar to drink. I used to go to dance, hangout, listen to some music. Just relax. I don't know, I just say give me a coke on the rocks, after I take a shot of whiskey (It's just one of those days, sometimes).

I'm sure they won't care what you order.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As Roguetadhg says - just go along for the hell of it... Now, if you have a problem with entering the actual bar, that's a different kettle of fish.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you like your co workers company go along have a coke and chat. I dont drink much these days and probable 8 out of ten times I go in a bar i don't drink alcohol. maybe suggest that your not a big drinker if they are all going out and getting wasted, and suggest you go for a meal first and then they can go of drinking after and you can go home or you may find other people dont really drink and those who want to drink will go to the bar and the rest do some thing else.

Of course if you just don't get along with them at all that's a different issue, do you just not want to drink with them? or not want to spend any time with them at all socially?
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    ClapDemCheeksClapDemCheeks Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I dont drink at all. So it seems pointless to go to a bar if i dont drink, no?
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sometimes you have to just tell people you don't drink and order yourself a water at the bar. People will always give you hell at first but after a while, they come to accept it and they are just happy you can hang out even if you're not drinking.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am assuming that your management is arranging these events as an effort to foster a sense of camaraderie and building relations among the team - and not just encouraging alcoholism.

Going to a bar/restaurant isn't just for drinking, it's a place to gather outside of work and a means for socializing. If you don't drink alcohol, just order water, soda, juice, etc. I usually order a seltzer with cranberry juice if I'm not in the mood to have a drink.

If however, you do not wish to step foot into a bar, then just politely decline. Or offer/suggest an alternative venue. It's not a big deal. I've worked with ex-alcoholics and non-drinkers (for religious reasons) in the past and usually if we are to go out, we would accommodate by going someplace other than a bar instead. Usually just a restaurant or one other time, we went bowling on a Friday night.
  • Options
    One of the best co workers I worked with never drank, but he still came out with us to the pub for lunch and after work for a "drink", he would order his coke or juice and chat and join in.

after offering him a drink once, him asking for a coke and telling us he didn't drink it was left at that. No one questioned his choice or tried to get him to drink. And once we new he did not drink and was prepared to come to pubs with us and accept we did drink, we insured that we did things that did not involved drinking to.

if you simple turn you back then people will assume you don't want to be social and wont think to include you.

you have three choices

1: don't go say nothing and risk ebing left out.
    2: talk to the manager and explain you don't drink but tell them you would like to get involved and could the organise a meal or other event you would attend.
    3: go along, don't drink but show you are accepting there choice and after would suggest some other activites the group could do that you would also enjoy.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□

You don't drink water? I'm Irish (cue stereotype) and I drink water/coke/juice/non-alco beer when I'm driving, or don't want alcohol. Unless of course you have some personal reason for simply not entering bars rather than just drinking, I don't see what'd be wrong with going with something non-alcoholic.
  • Options
    lunchbox67lunchbox67 Member Posts: 132 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have been going to bars most all my adult life ... yet I have also never drank an alcoholic beverage ... imagine that ...
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Lol :) You avatar looks like you drink a lot ;)
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dude, these events are a great way to bond and get to know co-workers so get down to the bar! You dont have to drink, you wont be classed as a "loser" as you say. Drink a coke or two but just get down to bond, play a few games of pool etc.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    Last time I checked your company cannot force you to go out with them. Last time I checked some companies and there HR rules frown upon discussing social events at work.

If they ask and you tell them "no thank you" and try to hold it against you at work, then I would consult with HR and tell them your being harassed. If it were me, I would not go to HR, I would kindly tell them off (words held back because of these forums.)
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    DevilWAH's suggestions sum it up. I used to have a similar dilemma with bowling events. For me bowling is one of those things that I absolutely can't stand. When my previous company came up with bowling events I did go a few times. As expected, I was miserable so I stopped going. Life is short. If you don't want to try something, that's cool. If you give it a shot and still don't like it, that's cool too. Don't feel obligated to do anything.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I'd go anywhere for the social experience outside of the office.A nd I actually go out more with my wife's co-workers than my own. Most of the people in my office are a bunch of duds that prefer to let someone else arrange everything and usually end up not showing anyway. My office lacks decision makers. Even deciding where to go for lunch is a chore.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Management doesn't officially sanction our Happy Hours, but we do them almost every month. I like it because it actually brings out people from various departments who I wouldn't talk to unless they were having a problem. One guy in my office doesn't drink and no one harps on him about it. He usually doesn't come out, but he did come out for my birthday about two weeks ago. He got food and just talked with us as we drank. No one will make fun of you considering everyone is an adult. Back in the day, if someone was drinking we'd make fun of them, but they were friends. You get to a point where the fun of it just runs out and ultimately I think people would respect that you don't drink. I find it to be a great way to socialize and make new friends in the office, so go out and have whatever drink you like.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Once you get to 21, it's all down hill.

Anyways, if you go you might hookup with that cutie from accounting. No? It was a goal for me! Giggity.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    There's always a need for a designated driver. Getting one or more of your co-workers home safely when THEY have had too much to drink is always a good thing. ;)
  • Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Once you get to 21, it's all down hill.

Anyways, if you go you might hookup with that cutie from accounting. No? It was a goal for me! Giggity.

LOL oh the stories I could tell ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My work occasionally does outings like this, I politely decline and I normally get crap for it. I do drink, I just don't feel comfortable drinking around co-workers. I've gone bowling, we've done paintball, had various lunches etc. I'm just not down for drinking around them, or seeing them drink. Call me crazy.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Go and order water or soda or something. It's not like they only serve liquor, and most bars serve food as well.

If you really want to get popular, offer to be the designated driver. No one will ever give you crap for not drinking if you're the DD.

I don't think bowling is comparable. Going to a bowling alley and not bowling is really lame. The point is to bowl. Bars are meant to be a social outing. The point is to be social -- not necessarily to get drunk.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    If you really want to get popular, offer to be the designated driver. No one will ever give you crap for not drinking if you're the DD.

now that is a fine idea, I more often than not drive any way as I am not close to work and its hard to get back by taxi or train, so they know now that if they ask early there will be space in my car for them to fall in to at the end of the night :)
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I organize an event about once a month and a few of my employees do not drink but they do come along and socialize. If an employee told me they were not comfortable stepping in to a bar, I would at least occasionally organize events that were alcohol free. My point is to let the person organizing these events know. Telling them that you want to be part of the outings but that you are not comfortable in a bar would show good team spirit and maybe cause them to organize something outside of a bar.
  • Options
    KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
    Now i don't drink, so how do i tell them that i will not participate because i dont drink.

Is this really about not drinking, or more about socializing (or rather not wanting to socialize) with co-workers?
  • Options
    I always liked a little alcohol being involved. Our department is considered very stiff and literally only three of us come out, with two of us being regular about it. At the end of the night I am always amazed at the number of people who come up to me and are like "wow you are a lot of fun." Plus, being coworkers, there is never a shortage of things to talk about. The other side of it is you get a chance to truly know your peers. People here will often bring their significant others and it is always fun to meet them.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    don't...drink...?

Bwhaaaaaaat?

Nah kidding we do stuff like this all the time and some of our team members don't drink. It doesn't change anything we are just out kicking back having a good time in a non-work environment. My advice is go have a good time, you will be happy you did.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If the bar makes you that uncomfortable maybe you can suggest some other ideas. A game of bowling or Dave and Buster's perhaps. People can still get their drinks but it's not a purely drinking environment.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Last time I was out drinking with co-workers my boss drove me home and picked me up the following morning to take my horribly hungover half-dead body to get my car so we could start our day at the office. The first half of that day was spent talking with other co-workers trying to remember how I ended up with a large deep gash on my elbow which to the best of our abilities we believe came about after me and another co-worker thought it would be a cool idea to have some playful sparring/wrestling out on the bars concrete patio with wire patio furniture. Yea, I don't drink with co-workers anymore - everybody here likes to have too much crazy fun.

:D
  • Options
    I went to a concert with a coworker and her brother. We had a room so we crashed after. The following morning I woke up covered in blood and no one knows what exactly happened. Large gash over my eye, a concussion, bloody nose, and a black eye. Made for a good laugh at the office the following week.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    So, you were the poster child for the Irish Rover's "Wasn't that a party" song?

The Irish Rovers - Wasn't That a Party? Lyrics
  • Options
    LOL basically, though I maintain that I didn't drink that much ha
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff