Home Lab Advice.

abernutabernut Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I know this topic has been beat to death but I keep seeing different answers depending on where I look.

I am getting ready to start down the CCNA path. I am going to build a home lab and want to ensure that the equipment I purchase will not only be the correct equipment now but will be something that I can use as I further my cisco education, CCNP etc...

Right now I have three routers.
A 2811 and two 1841s. Will these suffice for my needs.

If so what switches do you recommend.

Thanks and wish me luck.
Mike

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The reason you see different things is because people have different opinions on the subject! Read through the threads here and form your own. They are full of great info.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • abernutabernut Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply.
    It does seem like my routers will work.

I would still like some advice on what type and how many switches I will need (Layer 2, 3) based on your guys personal experience.

Thanks Mike
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To be honest, you'll only need L2 switches for the CCNA. Though, if you plan on going to the CCNP then get at least 1 L3 switch. The recommended switches would be 2950's for CCNA.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    abernut wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    It does seem like my routers will work.

I would still like some advice on what type and how many switches I will need (Layer 2, 3) based on your guys personal experience.

Thanks Mike

In my home CCNA lab I currently have x2 2950Cs I got for like $25 each on ebay and x2 3550s. Still debating what routers I should get that will last me through CCNP.
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1
    So I will look around for at least one layer 3 and two layer 2.

Does anyone see a problem with the routers I am using. Will they work with CCNA and CCNP.

Thanks
    Mike
    Another question about study material.
    I went through the CCNA networking academy way back in 2003. I got deployed before I could take the test and then never got around to doing it.

Can I still use my two Cisco Networking Academy Program Companion Guide Third Edition books and the Lab Manuals or is it too outdated.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    abernut wrote: »
    Another question about study material.
    I went through the CCNA networking academy way back in 2003. I got deployed before I could take the test and then never got around to doing it.

Can I still use my two Cisco Networking Academy Program Companion Guide Third Edition books and the Lab Manuals or is it too outdated.

Thanks,
    Mike

i would get something more revelent. 9 years is a pretty big gap. There is a 101 lab book for like $10 if you have a kindle.
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check out the thread in my Sig, it has all kinds of info on Labs.

hth
  • Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    I'm using 2811's and 2851. Your routers will be plenty fine. Just make sure you can upgrade them to version 12.4 if you can.
    I'm not sure what the MPLS support is on the 1841s so that's something to look into if you are interested in learning the provider side of things.
    Thanks for all the great advice.

A buddy of mine is going to let me have (pretty cheap) two WS-C3560-48TS-S.
    This should get me through my CCNA and CCNP correct?

You'd probably want more than one but that is a good switch for studying.