Options

Inside Google data centers

DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
Came across this article about Google data centers and thought I would share. It is amazing to see things so organized and on a larger scale.

Google opens window into secretive data centers - SFGate

Data centers ? Google Data centers

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Awesome pics. That beauty is what I want to emulate in my home lab icon_smile.gif Time to expose conduits and color code them.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Doesn't look any different than any other DC I've been in.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137

For someone like me it is, I have only worked in a small DC. It might not be much different from others like Apple or Amazon but it is still impressive.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just like the way the photos were taken.
  • Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    Google built a data center in my home town in GA. Ofcourse everyone and there grand mother wants to work for them. Maybe one day...
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    data ****
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I like the Wired article...
    Google Throws Open Doors to Its Top-Secret Data Center | Wired Enterprise | Wired.com

Look closer. It's all homebrew. I'm sure most if not all datacenters you've been in use mostly rackmount and/or blade enclosures from some place like Dell, HP, IBM, etc.

From the pics/vids it looks like Google's homebrew are all 2U. Something of note is they appear to not be much more than a metal shelf to screw components into. There's no front fascia, wiring sticks out the front side almost as much as the back.

The more interesting thing is the rumors I've heard around these homebrew servers. Supposedly they use returned/rejected parts. Huge cost savings, pick up hardware that would otherwise be tossed out due to a defect for pennies on the dollar. Use software to work around the defects. The fault tolerance built in has to be unbelievable.
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□

really?

WOW google DC cool!
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    to me it looks like motherboards with a rack mount on it most likely running on strait dc power possibly arm chips
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers: