Options

Where to Begin

IceMagic2009IceMagic2009 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm new here (registered for this site back in 2009 in high school). I currently work at a HelpDesk Perusing a Degree in HealthCare IT (going for the certification). I have 0 Certifications now. I have a list of Certs I would like but don't know where to start.

i would like to get the following MINIMUM:

A+
Net+
Sec+
Windows 7

There is also a Healthcare IT Certificate that i want but i don't know what else to get. Suggestions? Only problem is that im not motivated.

Comments

• Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Only problem is that im not motivated.

That right there is not going to get you anywhere. Why are you not motivated? Does making more money not interest you? Do you have a family to provide for? If so do you not want a better life for them? Do you not want a house someday? Do you not want a nice car? Do you not want a big TV? (some do some don't) Do you want to live at your parents when you get fired for not being motivated? Do you not like technology? Do you have no desire to be more than helpdesk?

Ask yourself those questions and if your answer that you want to be better, make more $, have nice things, not live with parents, then I see plenty of reasons to be motivated. As one of our members put it one time (can't remember who said it exactly) he is motivated because he wants to be a BAMF in his choosen field. That to some is important as well.

As for the certs you want... Well since you are already in a helpdesk Skipping the A+ is probably ok if you already know the material. If you don't know the material taught in the A+ then study it but skip the cert as you are already working in the field and don't need it to break into IT. The Net+, Sec+, and MCTS-70-680 are better and will challenge you more and could be worth more in the long run than the A+.

Another question to ask yourself is what do you want to do long term? Do you want to be a Sys Admin? If so what OS? Linux/Unix or Windows? Do you want to work in networking? Then Cisco or juniper are usually the path that most take. There are more fields in IT to go into but that gives you an idea of what to think of.

Once you know the answers to these questions reply back and we would be more than happy to help.

Also check out these sites if you haven't already to get an idea of what is involved with some of the certs you mentioned:
    Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training
    IT Free Training | Where free means free
  • Options
    I dont know why I'm not motivated. I do have a family to support, i have a 2012 Car. and no cable connection lol.

I also love Professor Messer i have his A+ Videos downloaded and should be studying them. I will look into the MCTS-70-680 Exam

As for what part of IT i want to be in. I am un sure. I want to work in a hospital with their system so maybe a Sys Admin.
  • Options
    I dont know why I'm not motivated. I do have a family to support, i have a 2012 Car. and no cable connection lol.

I also love Professor Messer i have his A+ Videos downloaded and should be studying them. I will look into the MCTS-70-680 Exam

As for what part of IT i want to be in. I am un sure. I want to work in a hospital with their system so maybe a Sys Admin.

I don't know much about how Hospitols run as far as IT is concerned but if being a Sys Admin sounds like the right path then Look at the MCITP:SA Path for 2008. It is also known as MCSA:2008. Maybe talk with your manager and let him know of your interest to progress in your career and see what extra tasks you can take on. Maybe he will let you start getting on server related stuff if you let him know that your goal is to be a Sys admin. If you don't know already ask him what kind of OS's the servers run. If there are some *nix servers in there and you wan't to learn that show him you are intersted in it and maybe he will throw you task or 2.

If you are able to get into doing things are outside of the helpdesk day to day break fix stuff then, maybe your motivation will grow again as you start getting challenging tasks.

For me, I want my wife and son and soon to be next son to have the best of everything and I want to be able to have cool stuff to and thats what makes me keep on doing what I am doing. I also have a passion for Tech and love to play with it. Maybe look at getting a Technet subscription if you don't have one already (you can find discounts online if you search) and setup some Server 2008R2 servers. Make file shares, setup domain controllers, setup exchange, Check out Server 2012 and the new storage pools that allow you to take different size HD's and External HD's and put them into one big storage array.

There is so much cool stuff out there and if you start playing with it at home them maybe it will get you going again.

If you need more help/motivation let me know.
  • Options
    I love computers as well.

What is technet?

Also i work on a helpdek answering phone calls....no servers i barely get to work on PC's unless remotly working with outlook lol. It gets the bills paid BUT i am thinking of getting A+ before years end...and maybe windows 7(but i dont see tech notes on it)

I taking an Intro to routing and switching class (CCNA) playing with the packet tracer files are really really fun. I love the look and feel of a command line interface....im assuming LINUX/UNIX is where i need to head
  • Options
    I love computers as well.

What is technet?

Also i work on a helpdek answering phone calls....no servers i barely get to work on PC's unless remotly working with outlook lol. It gets the bills paid BUT i am thinking of getting A+ before years end...and maybe windows 7(but i dont see tech notes on it)

I taking an Intro to routing and switching class (CCNA) playing with the packet tracer files are really really fun. I love the look and feel of a command line interface....im assuming LINUX/UNIX is where i need to head

There is command line in Windows. Powershell is very powerful and can do just about anything except let you play games in it. If you are finding that the routing/switching is where your passion lays then start heading down that path.

In my personal opinion now is the time you should be focusing on your long term goals if you have a family already. the A+ is a short sighted goal in my opinion and I think you should be look beyond that at this point. I don't want to discourage you from it if you want to take it but at $160 or so a test it won't bring you the ROI that the 70-680 or the CCNA will. If linux sounds fun start looking at the Linux+. If you study and pass that test you get the Linux+, Lpic1 certs which could be worth while to employers with Linux OS's.

As for Technet, it is something microsoft sells that allows you to run just about any OS/software they make for evaluation purposes. So you could get access to Server 2003-2012, Windows xp-Windows 8, Office 2003-2013, Exchange 2003-2013, and much more. Its about $300 for a year of being able to run all those.

I have had one for a few years now and it is worth every penny I think. Something to think about.

P.S. I passed my 70-680 exam using both those websites I sent you and a little brushing up with the Don Poulton 70-680 book. Granted I work with 7 almost daily so that comes into play some.
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Powershell is very powerful and can do just about anything except let you play games in it.

Not true :P

PowerShell Falling Blocks - Ascii art on the move - CodeProject