Options

Silly CISCO IOS question

goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
Will Cisco every implement a GUI interface for ther Business routers and Swicthes?

I am getting use to Packet Tracer icon_smile.gif

icon_study.gif
The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs

Comments

• Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    They have DCNM Lan for Nexus and Cisco Configuration Assistant for ISR class devices. Your core network engineers will continue to use CLI for efficiency and speed.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Will Cisco every implement a GUI interface for ther Business routers and Swicthes?

I am getting use to Packet Tracer icon_smile.gif

icon_study.gif

Why would you want a GUI? There's SDM and CCP. Though, you can be more specific with the CLI.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Been playing around with the CLI in Packet tracer for a couple of days. You can move so much faster then using The CLI vs the GUI. It not so bad once you get use to it. icon_cheers.gif
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not so bad? The best part of Cisco is the CLI :D

Regarding the GUI - CCP is the latest, and from what I've seen it can be really useful when setting the security posture of a group of devices with similar functions, or when you want to grab a really good looking graph. But otherwise, most networkers I've talked to like the granular control, speed, and flexibility of the CLI.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with you YFZblue - CLI is the best part. SDM is rather weak and CCP is pretty good. Though, I don't like the flashy look of it all. Makes me feel like amateur hour when using CCP.

Look at it this way - someone walks into your office, looks at your screen and sees you configuring a device using CLI, they're going to think you're a genius because you're coding everything in. If you're using SDM or CCP they're going to think that you're configuring a netgear or something similar. There's just so much more you can do with CLI.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S