Options

Just beginning CCNA study: starter lab questions

draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
I just finished my goal today of getting the three basic comptia certs so now I'm finally ready to tackle the CCNA. I think the best plan is to take the test in two parts, pass the ICND1, and then the ICND2. It looks like that route will be cheaper oddly enough. That's all clear but I'm confused about a couple of things however.

I've read everywhere that it's recommended to buy a few routers and switches which I definitely want to do and can afford.
  • Which model of router and switch should I buy and how many? That's 2 of each correct?
The book offerings so far are for lab sims I'm going with the cisco press book for that.
  • What I'm wondering about is where are the study/lab material for the hands on lab you set up at home?
I'm assuming you would take a simulator exercise and just do it with real routers and switches instead of the simulator? Is that how people doing it or is there a lab book that goes along with that?

Sorry if these are dumb questions I'm new to this certification area and I'd like understand this part of it.

Comments

• Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check out the Lab Gear thread (in my Sig below). It has lots of info from equipment suggestions, workbooks, etc...etc...

hth
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is what I use for my home lab and study materials. Hope in helps you out

2x 2514s
    2x 2950s
    101 Labs for the Cisco CCNA Exam: Paul W Browning,Farai Tafa,Stuart Juggins: 9780955781520: Amazon.com: Books

I also used Odom's Network Simulator which contained 200+ labs. They were based on the chapters throughout reading his book.
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I Use Packet Tracer and love it. the Command line and Graphical interface is all I need. Should be more then adequate for the CCNA. If you want to buy equipment go on and buy it. Try to download it from a reputable source like a university or community college. Many labs are available for download as well. Many of the members have access to To all the lab including the packet Tracer.

Heck I usually Google modified packet tracer labs to challenge myself. Did three versions of the subnetting challenge packet tracer lab.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    I am taking ICND1 November 5th. I used Pocket tracer, but i just built my home lab for ICND2 and my further study.

Stick to Pocket tracer and do your researches along the way. I recommend you 2x 2950 switch, 2 or 3x router, I got 3 1760, but if you can get one 1841 with 12.4 IOS it is better, it was just out of my budget. I got 2950s for $30 shipped each and 1760s for $45-50each shipped. And you need 3x console cable and usb to serial adapters for each device, or you can use one just switch it around.(i got ebay $2 ones), then once you learned, you can reach the devices thru telnet or SSH. and you also need a few crossover and straight thru cables. Also you need serial cable to connect the routers together.

My study material was Odom`s ICND1 book, chris braynt videos, jeremy choara videos and exam cram ICND1 book. it was too much but get at least Christ Braynt videos and odom`s book. Also this forum youtube and google is your best friend.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most people start with Cisco Packet Tracer 5.3, and then advance to GNS3. That will do you for awhile before you need to buy any cisco gear.

Books to buy first

buy 1st
    CCENT/CCNA ICND 1, by Wendel Odem cisco press ISBN-13:978-1-58720-182-0

later
    CCNA ICDN2 by Wendel Odem

good idea to buy soon
    Network Warrior O'REILLY by Gary A. Donahue 2nd Edition

I got my first switches and routers free, they were old and not much use but free. I learned how to telnet to them and do ROMMON> and some othe commands, flash the IOS ...

old free stuff is good. 3500xl switch, I got a 2950, I had a token ring 2612, and a 2610 all free from a local school. Oh plus 2 WIC dsu/csu, and I got a dte dce cable from a different school, free.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the information what was mainly concerned about getting the proper materials.

I basically have the lab portion paid for so there's no reason for me not to get real routers and switches. I have packet tracer already, that's something I picked up at school but I've used it just barely. Sadly I won't be able to get any routers or switches from my school for free although I'm tempted to ask.

I ordered two books so far: CCNA 640-802 Official Cert Library, Simulator Edition, Updated (3rd Edition) and Todd Lammle "CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 7th Edition. The cert library is by Odom and contains two books plus a simulator lab.

I've seen both recommended and I also get all the simulator labs. My philosophy when it when comes to books is it's better to have too many than not enough. I'll look into the lab and the network warrior book mentioned.

I'm looking at this ebay item for ($200)
    Cisco CCNA Lab Kit 2 x 2610 Routers & 2x 2950 Switches. Does that price seem reasonable or would I be able to do this much cheaper? I'd like to get everything I need now so I don't need to think about it later. Plus side when I'm done and if I decide I don't want to get more cisco certs I can always sell everything back.
  • Options
    draught wrote: »
    Thanks for all the information what was mainly concerned about getting the proper materials.

I basically have the lab portion paid for so there's no reason for me not to get real routers and switches. I have packet tracer already, that's something I picked up at school but I've used it just barely. Sadly I won't be able to get any routers or switches from my school for free although I'm tempted to ask.

I ordered two books so far: CCNA 640-802 Official Cert Library, Simulator Edition, Updated (3rd Edition) and Todd Lammle "CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 7th Edition. The cert library is by Odom and contains two books plus a simulator lab.

I've seen both recommended and I also get all the simulator labs. My philosophy when it when comes to books is it's better to have too many than not enough. I'll look into the lab and the network warrior book mentioned.

I'm looking at this ebay item for ($200)
    Cisco CCNA Lab Kit 2 x 2610 Routers & 2x 2950 Switches. Does that price seem reasonable or would I be able to do this much cheaper? I'd like to get everything I need now so I don't need to think about it later. Plus side when I'm done and if I decide I don't want to get more cisco certs I can always sell everything back.

Looks expensive. I hunted down 3x 1760 router for $40 each and 3x 2950 router for $25 each, and $25 for cables and little stuff, i spend about $200-220 for 3router 3 switch setup with newer stuff. It is better to buy them one by one, and build your own kit.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    draught wrote: »
    I ordered two books so far: CCNA 640-802 Official Cert Library, Simulator Edition, Updated (3rd Edition) and Todd Lammle "CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 7th Edition.

Make sure you get Mr Lammle's bonus lab material that goes with his 7th edition book.
    See here -
    Where to get Bonus material for my 7th Edition - Lammle Forum

hth
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would sell my 1, 2950 for $20.00 but shipping kills.

If you can swing it get the 2621xm (xm).
  • Options
    TurK-FX wrote: »
    Looks expensive. I hunted down 3x 1760 router for $40 each and 3x 2950 router for $25 each, and $25 for cables and little stuff, i spend about $200-220 for 3router 3 switch setup with newer stuff. It is better to buy them one by one, and build your own kit.

I'm starting to realize that would be the best way but ebay confuses me because of the price differences between routers that should be exactly the same. Look at this:

4 2621 routers for only $49 ebay

I would buy this right now but since 2621s appear to be selling for a least $50 normally there's got to be something wrong with 4 of them going for $50 I'd think? Do the routers need anything special or can I just plug them in and connect the console cable?

Thanks for all the help that bonus material link for lammle's book is appreciated.
  • Options
    that one has $60 shipping , it comes to $110 with shipping