Silly Question in Comptia+ book.

makronikmakronik Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I got comptia+ all in one study book, and I am on 4rth chapter right now, but the chapter that was strange was the chapter 2nd, there was a topic about RFI,EMI,ESD and it was saying that I need A static mat, so that the hardware wont get damaged by the ESD, and the anti-static wrist is for humans, so that they wont get charged by the ESD. at the end of the chapter there were questions and there is certain question that bugs me the most, the question was

Q: By using anti-static wrist, and handling with the CPU who do you protect against, ESD,

A: The user
B: The CPU?

I picked :A the user, as it was saying in the book that the wrist protects you, and the mat protects the hardware inside, but the answer was CPU. Can someone explain?

Comments

• lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    1) This question is better suited for the Comptia forums.

2) Because your body produces static electricity. If that static electricity is discharged to the CPU it will damage the CPU.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    No normal amount of ESD produced by yourself or equipment like this is going to be enough to even remotely damage a person. It's only to protect the electrically sensitive hardware, or CPU in this case. The strap and matt work together to protect the equipment in this case.