Options

Trying to get into the IT career field

aceboogey18aceboogey18 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I'm 25 and trying to obtain a career in the IT field. I have no prior experience in the field but I'm am currently enrolled in school to obtain my bachelors degree in Computer Information Science with a concentration in Network Security. One of my goals are to get a job in the field before I graduate so I need to know a good to starting point. I'm also wondering what are some job duties of someone who works in the network security field. Like I said before I have no prior experience but I do have a broad knowledge of computers and is a very fast learner. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    martawmartaw Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got a job while I was in school. It was working in a NOC. At first I did not want to take it because I thought it was below what I knew and I didn't want a dead end job. Fortunately, I got to know more people in the company and was able to move out after a couple of years.

I got the job by going to a job fair on campus.
  • Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    martaw wrote: »
    I got a job while I was in school. It was working in a NOC. At first I did not want to take it because I thought it was below what I knew and I didn't want a dead end job. Fortunately, I got to know more people in the company and was able to move out after a couple of years.

you definately should get your A+ certification and do some contracting jobs to build some experience.. As you get some jobs get your network+ and security + and try to land you a permanent gig. Upon landing a permanent start looking into higher level certs like CCNA and MCITP or MCSA.
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    martaw wrote: »

Bingo! Foot in the door was key, wish more people understood the importance of that.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?