Options

Pre sales pay structure

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey,

Could anyone tell me what the norm is for pre sales solution architects in regards to pay structure? i.e. base rate, do they usually get commission and/or a bonus? If they do not get commission then they get compensated in other ways?

Thanks in advance.
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Every company is different. I have a few friends that get a decent base salary and a small % of the net commission as well as a bonus for meeting quarterly sales targets.

Unfortunately I am considered a post sales resource, so while I do a significant amount of Pre-Sales Architecture and design I don't get to enjoy many of the benefits. Our sales reps keep the lions share of the compensation! After passing the CCIE R&S I'll renegotiate icon_smile.gif
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    down77 wrote: »
    Every company is different. I have a few friends that get a decent base salary and a small % of the net commission as well as a bonus for meeting quarterly sales targets.

Unfortunately I am considered a post sales resource, so while I do a significant amount of Pre-Sales Architecture and design I don't get to enjoy many of the benefits. Our sales reps keep the lions share of the compensation! After passing the CCIE R&S I'll renegotiate icon_smile.gif

This is true....
    im a post sale engineer also and i have to help the sales guys with presales stuff and i dont get any of the comission.

They are starting with a nice thing in which if you are on a client and you gave him an idea for a configuration they want, or you sell somehow somethiing while doing your normal job then you will get comission of it..
    For example i got 10% of comission after recommending a upgrade for all the switches of a company which in total they are like 20 switches a 10% of the total of what they paid which is really nice...

I have been selling myself while doing my job i have sell some switches, configurations(most of it) wireless solutions.... as the porcentage is not defined... they told me it could vary... i dont know what ill get from it...

But this is a GOOD strategy companies should start applying... just with me they started this like last month and i have been selling myseflt a few good stuff... not big proyects butthey are good income for the company i guess... my coworker are also doing the same.

Also it seems that if a sales man is selling something and is actually doing nothing besides just quoting and not apporting anything and we are doing all the job then we will get the commision(thats something that is starting it seems) but ill have to see that if its true

The first part i said of the bonuses is true :)
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    The last MSP I was at, didn't really a Pre-Sales/Post-Sales role definition so I ended on both sides of the fence and there was no compensation for any pre-sales work.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    I think every company does it differently. I've seen some companies that don't offer any commission. I've seen one company offer a 80/20 split. 80% base around low 100K and 20% based on commissions...
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks guys. I guess base rate + bonus is the minimum to aim for then.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking