Options

Questions about CCNA/Time

technowtechnow Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
hello everybody
i have couple questions about ccna studying and time frame here is my question:
1- how long it would take a noob to study for a ccna tests, studying 2 hours a day ? i work full time so its harder to study more than 2 hour a day .
2- i willl be using cbt nuggets ccna training videos? is it enough or i will need more material if i will please post references.
3- where i live in houston they offer a ccna course at hcc for a bout 2600 $$ seems bit pricey to me is it worth it?
4- can i do this on my own or is it essential to take a course.

thank you so much guys any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    please any help??
  • Options
    dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    It will be difficult for anyone to tell you how much study time is enough for you. It will entirely depend on how well you understand and retain the information. I think two hours a day is a good safe place to start and make adjustments from there.

CBT nuggets are good study materials. I would possibly also include either the Lammle or Cisco Press books to help fill in gaps.

The CCNA is completely achievable through self study.

Hopefully this will help.
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • Options
    thank you ! i will look into that, but u think you have to use books ? i like visual learning works better for me ! you think there is other options to fill in the gaps or the books is a must?
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like Net Academy classes. Require no books, have simulated labs included, which helps enforce a concept. Plus I can easily cut and paste pictures and notes into Microsoft One Note for future study.

Study time...hmm.???

Took this ccna courses back in 2007 when I was a full time college student. Very difficult for me at the time. Got through all the classes with a "B". But then again there are time constraints in College. Today I am reviewing for my CCNa and man everything seems to just click so far.

Take as much time as possible to understand the concept. To flex the brain muscle I would start at 1hr a day and work your way up to 4hrs a day. Don't forget labs as wells. That can take a considerable amt of time depending on lab your doing. Some labs are 5 minutes. Some labs may take you an hour to figure out.icon_study.gif
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    thank you so much for you reply golden ! i still have a long way ahead of me to understand the whole concept. about 10 years ago my friend was opening his business, i am generally good with computers and i was helping him setup a network it was fun thats why i chose this field then got sucked with job life etc i know its what i want to do, plus i always liked to mess with routers at home,
    so do you have a link for this training you used , and at which point i am going to need a lab
  • Options
    mksmith777mksmith777 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I like Net Academy classes. Require no books, have simulated labs included, which helps enforce a concept. Plus I can easily cut and paste pictures and notes into Microsoft One Note for future study.

Since golden used the Net Academy it has the labs built into the studying. You can find labs by searching online, or some books have lab built into them.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    2-3 hours a day is a good amount of time to study. No need to rush it unless your employer is giving you pressure to get it. Its better that you take the time to understand how everything work even if it takes 2 - 3 months or a bit longer so be it. It wouldn't make sense to rush it in a month and quickly take the test and possibly passing it but afterwards quickly forgetting all of the material.

Cbt nuggets ccna video is not enough to get your ready for the test. Jeremy lightly covers so many concepts he gives you a general idea but you should supplement the video with a ccna book to fill the gaps.

$2600 is way too much money. You'll learn the same thing you would with the videos and reading on your own for a fraction of that.
    I recommend you do it on your own and save the money. I took a ccna month long class and it was too much information to digest. I learned more when I self studied after the class was over.
  • Options
    Thank u so much for the info that's what I said 2600 too much plus books all that gas to drive 30 mins away. Seem self educate an appealing option. Now do u think I should use cbt nuggets for an intro? Then retake it again with the books ?
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cbtnuggets ccna with Jeremy Ciora made a complicated subject interesting and fun. I say watch it and take notes. Then review your notes and read the book so all the techno-babble in the books makes sense.
  • Options
    Sound like a pretty good idea! So which book would u recommmend . Book name and author
  • Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    I am in the same boat with you(taking ICND1). I been studying for 2.5 months and my exam date is november 5. It will be exactly 3 months. First watch videos(i sugget TrainSignal, CBT is too light) if you watch 1 hour a day, it will take you 2 weeks to finish all the videos. Then read the book try at least 4-5 chapters a week. you will be done in a month. Take notes so before the exam, you can review them. Also writing helps to memorize the information better. You should be able to take the the exam within 3 months 1-2 hours study a day.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    satisphymysoulsatisphymysoul Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the Houston area as well and have been studying for about 3 months and I'm almost done. I would say 2 hours would be great, It only takes me a while because I (personally) have to go over concepts over and over to ensure I cement them, but they truly aren't that hard to grasp. Also, I use TrainSignal, and Chris Bryant (the guy who administers that) is IN-DEPTH like a muh***** hahha. But I find that incredibly beneficial as he tells you things he encounters on the job and why each thing is important. And I'd be more than happy to provide u with some study materials if need be. Just holla @ me
  • Options
    thanks man def will take that in mind and good luck with your goals!
  • Options
    mohamedshajidmohamedshajid Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello Technow This is my schedule to workout with my CCENT and CCNA.. Per Day 3 Hours Breakfast -Subnetting Lunch - Theory Night-Configuration stuffs, But you have decided to each day 2 hours that also good strategy to learn fast and understandably use own rewards after you complete your each subjects :D
    [2013] CCNA Cert Exam @IBM Premier Campus in Sri Lanka
    + Reading Todd Lammle CCNA 7th Edition, CCENT Cert Dummies
    I'm totally afraid of heard strange word of cisco
    + Next Career - Red Hat Linux Networking And CCNA: Security (2013 Before June)
  • Options
    Thank you Mohammed u see man problem is I work 35 to 38 hours a week . Ur schedule sound good thowhich books / tools videos etc?
  • Options
    mksmith777mksmith777 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I use the Odom book and it is a good book, just a little boring at times.
  • Options
    vyaraguddavyaragudda Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Technow, its good if you use Todd Lammle 6th or 7th eddition book for study, CBT Nuggets are best videos for LABs and use GNS3 emulator, repeat videos again and again so it would be very easy for you to configure Routers and Switches without memorising things.
  • Options
    Thank you so much everybody for all advices