Options

Bit of advice slightly off topic

and36yand36y Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm currently studying for RS CCIE, I have my own lab, bought the INE workbook 1 and now I'm in the market for a new laptop, I'll buy it through my company and ideally would like to bu a Mac Pro.. Now the the question is, do any of you use a mac as your main study computer? Are there any restrictions in doing so. Would I be better served by just buying a nasty windoze laptop instead?

Any advise guys.. I took your advise on getting an iPad over a kindle.... Fantastic choice.....

Andy
Studying CCIE R&S

Written passed, looking at lab towards end of 2013

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I use Linux on my personal laptop for all my study. I don't think there is anything you'd be missing out on by going Mac.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I use a mac as my main study tool. I use the free ITerm for the majority of my IT task and use Securecrt for things that require a console. It works fine with all the INE stuff. The included notepad is good enough, but you can use text wrangler or jedit if you need a better editor. I use the built in FTP for file transfer and I do have vmware for when it doesn't work.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I use Windows/Linux but can't see why you'd go wrong with a Mac.

They are all nice.
  • Options
    rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    For the guys with Mac books - what 'USB to RS-232' adapter do you use to connect to the console ports of your Cisco devices?
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    I got a trendnet one and then one from monoprice for like $7 .. works fine across all platforms.
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you watch the newer INE videos, you'll see they are all on Mac Books. Everyone I've met who works for Cisco also uses a Mac Book. If it's good enough for them, I think you'll manage. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My CCNP studies went great with my $229 celeron 15" laptop I bought from BestBuy. Tossed on Ubuntu and a SSD in there and it's worked great. I can about 4-5 routers in GNS3 with XP in virtualbox for qemu endpoints. Packet tracer works great and USB-to-serial adapters all work out of the box. Never had one that wasn't plug and go.

Visio is a serious must have for anything higher than CCNA I think. I did break down and get a technet subscription so I could install Office 2007 and Visio 2007 (wine of course).

As for tablet choice I am using last years kindle fire. Working pretty good for video watching.

For usb/serial I used this, worked great.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-RS232-SERIAL-9-PIN-DB9-Adapter-Cable-PDA-GPS-XP-/290695963641?pt=US_Parallel_Serial_PS_2_Cables_Adapters&hash=item43aed463f9
    -Daniel
  • Options
    BeTheNetworkBeTheNetwork Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I use a MacBook Pro for both work and study. It has Bootcamp, which I use mainly for office administration tasks, but all Cisco study, device access, and troubleshooting is done in OS X. Outside of Visio, there is nothing missing in OS X.
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The only downside I could think of is that the lab uses a Windows desktop so the difference in key placement/shortcuts could slow you down slightly.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use a MacBook Pro Retina for all my studies. Prior to the Retina I used a standard 15" macbook pro and prior to that was a 13". Never had an issue getting connected to any equipment.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All you NEED for Cisco studies is a terminal. Everything else is just personal preference. If you want a Mac for any reason, get a Mac.