Options

MY CCNA study material. Is this Enough?

SlayerXSlayerX Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
I currently am new to all things Cisco and I'm using the study material below to try and pass the CCNA in 4 months.
What do you think? Anything else I need? study flash cars, a test question program, a lab book etc.?
I will be putting in 2 hours a day of study time.
All helpful advice is welcome.

CCNA CBT Nuggets- Jeremy
CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 7th Edition - Lammle
CCNA Certification All-In-One For Dummies Silviu Angelescu <---- for review
Packet Tracer and GNS3

Comments

• Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looks good enough I really don't think you need a dummies guide though.
  • Options
    SlayerXSlayerX Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks dmarcisco, I wont get it then. Save myself some money.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd go with the Odom books over Lammle personally. They might not be as entertaining to read but they sure get into the details you need to know.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd go with the Odom books over Lammle personally. They might not be as entertaining to read but they sure get into the details you need to know.

A caveat of too much details is too much detail too fast and one thing Odom doesn't do well is to tell you when you know the base of a particular technology versus the details. He lumps it all together and tries to make it cohesive. You have to stop and put odom on timeout just so you can self-evaluate "know when you know" the base technology versus extra extra details. ReasonI mention this because I learned this thru taking a class I'm in now. This allows you some ample time to shoot some confidence your way along the way, another thing a book or maybe just Odom can't do or give the feeling anyway.

I would agree with you though that it is better to get too many details then not enough but be sure to do the above.

also, I have the dummies book and I wouldn't not recommend it. I like the CCENT one but again, it could be too many sources. it's all predicated on how much you need or want to take on.
    hope I help the most.
  • Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    I also suggest the Odom`s book. He is into too much detail, but when you read it, you know what is important stuff. Also he marks " key subject" next to the things you should really know. On top of that, i highlight the things i thing important in my book and take down notes So now i have my own notes with all the important stuff i need, and i can quickly review it right before the exam.
    Illumanati wrote: »
    A caveat of too much details is too much detail too fast and one thing Odom doesn't do well is to tell you when you know the base of a particular technology versus the details. He lumps it all together and tries to make it cohesive. You have to stop and put odom on timeout just so you can self-evaluate "know when you know" the base technology versus extra extra details. ReasonI mention this because I learned this thru taking a class I'm in now. This allows you some ample time to shoot some confidence your way along the way, another thing a book or maybe just Odom can't do or give the feeling anyway.

I would agree with you though that it is better to get too many details then not enough but be sure to do the above.

also, I have the dummies book and I wouldn't not recommend it. I like the CCENT one but again, it could be too many sources. it's all predicated on how much you need or want to take on.
    hope I help the most.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)