Options

Writing while studying

RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
I think I am way too heavy on writing as I study. It's killing me

Am I the only one who begins reading a topic and start writing down random things to the point you think "@$#! this is a lot of writing"?

I think I am going to stop writing and just read for awhile.
Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?

Comments

• Options
    someasiandudesomeasiandude Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did that in my A+ and got overwhelmed lol.. now I read the chapter twice, once just straight reading then I jot notes the 2nd time
    A.S. - Computer Networking Student (Spring 2014)

CompTIA A+ (passed 10/2012) ----> CompTIA Net+ ----> CCENT :study: ---> CCNA ---> ???
  • Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    If writing is too hard, either use book on a tablet and highlight, or use a real highlighter. Because marking important topics is important. It is the distinction between failing and passing the exam. You can quickly read thru your highlighted notes 2 days before the exam, and it will refresh your memory.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    lulz..I kept writing but not as much

• Options
    mohamedshajidmohamedshajid Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hmmm! In my point of view is writing is the main thing better than reading, When you reading something it would be irritating of course you maybe able to go to your bed sometimes. But when you're writing actually you'll able to see the differentiate than reading, Some how you do not need writing all the notes rather than highlighting notes of your resources. If you have something resources like CCNA 7th Edition by Todd lammle and it's in informal mode so you'll get very enjoy to reading and you can highlight it the important notes and wrote down and import to your smart phone which supported PDF Format. Actually i like to read when i'm transporting to somewhere by bus or any other vehicle. I'll always keep my notes with my Phone (Evernote helps me to write down my notes) :D Don't loose your 300$ by failing the exam in my country currency for the exam goes Rs 40,000/= think about it, Just change your self i was lazier than you before now i just scheduled everything and my daily tasks. :D
    [2013] CCNA Cert Exam @IBM Premier Campus in Sri Lanka
    + Reading Todd Lammle CCNA 7th Edition, CCENT Cert Dummies
    I'm totally afraid of heard strange word of cisco
    + Next Career - Red Hat Linux Networking And CCNA: Security (2013 Before June)
  • Options
    doverdover Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Route,

I've always done the same thing. I think I retain information better when I can relate it to both a movement and a visual (kinesthetic and visual learning styles). You are right though, you can get carried away with writing WAY too much.

I've started doing what someasiandude does - start by reading an chapter straight through. Then I go back and type some notes (in MS OneNote) as I review the text chapter. If the topic has some structure I make some mind-map drawings showing the organization of key topics and how they relate to each other and other processes.

As I keep reviewing my notes and the text material I can eliminate some of the notes because I've either committed them to memory or thought they were more critical than they actually are. What I'm left with is a pretty concise study-guide with drawings that I can review right before the exam.

dover
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I tried the typing notes but I don't get the same retention as I do when I write it. Writing all that sucks I prob had 50 pages of notes but it's great for cramming with instead of looking over a 600 pg book. I try to write whats important but in my own words so its easier to understand. Alot of the text is added fluff basically explaining the same thing in different ways.
  • Options
    MusixaMusixa Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey, I did writing while studying when reviewing for CCNA, and I also got surprised that I think I wrote too much. But for me, it helped a lot because writing helps me understand better the topics that i am reading. And also, written notes are much easier to understand when you need to rescan the topics. :)
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    I make tons of old school hand written flash cards while I'm reading a book the first time through. I like to write it out and put things in my own words, because you can really catch yourself not knowing what you're talking about.. which will cause you to dig a little deeper. I'm considering using one of those online note keepers so I can review them even away from home, but for now just regular flash cards..
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think I am way too heavy on writing as I study. It's killing me

Am I the only one who begins reading a topic and start writing down random things to the point you think "@$#! this is a lot of writing"?

I think I am going to stop writing and just read for awhile.

Yes and No..yes I have been there and No you're not the first. You are not understanding or haven't been properly introduced to the technology or aren't getting the scope of it enough for anything you write to make sense. There is also some key experience I cannot put into works but best way to describe is I know what you need and it cannot be found on any post or in any book. PM me for the answer and that goes to anyone having this same phenom.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Talk about sounding mysterious.. Wonder if you're in cahoots with the real Illumanati
  • Options
    ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hmm. I never wrote a lot... dunno but I'm better off just reading it and than practicing it hands on. All I note down are tables.
    But yeah, right now I'm at a point where I'd love to take all my stuff and burn it, and go on with my life without the ccna.
    Goal 2013: CCENT (x); CCNA(x); Security+(x); ITIL Foundation ( )
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It all depends, to me, if it is more theory, than yeah I like to take notes preferably create flash cards with them, like for terminology. But if it is more practical, then I just lab a bunch of times, it helps grasping the concept better than just reading, like right now I've been reading on configuring NAT and DHCP and can't wait to config it, cuz only then will it really stick in my brain and I'll learn much more.
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Learning how to type help cure that for me icon_cool.gif. My fingers hurt when I write too long. I can literally types pages upon pages without my fingers hurting. Back in the days before the word processor, my fingers would hurt at about half of the page writing old school.

Using the Net Academy. More Expensive route. Just cut and paste pictures and text all right into Microsoft OneNote. Can even search for previous topics learned. icon_smile.gif
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    FYI

This has to do with studying in general, not CCNA, MCSE, VCP related. Simple things you do when studying. Writing for me is better for retention but the aim of this post was to say "writing so much sucks sometimes"

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I tried taking notes while studying for a while and it just wasn't working for me. I ended up with either so much verbosity I might as well just reread the book or so little detail that the notes were pretty useless.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    How about making a virtual friend and explaining to him what you read? is that a good idea?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think it is a great idea halaakjan. Being able to speak something in depth definitely ensures you have a solid understanding.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.