Options

To jump ship or not - What to do when your not being challenged?

astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
I still consider myself new to IT. I've been at my current, and first, IT job for 2 years in a NOC type environment. I started out as an unpaid intern and have quickly pushed myself to become heavily involved in any projects that come our way. The problem is most of those projects are relatively simple and I don't find them all that challenging. I basically just make sure nothing's broken - which almost never happens where I'm at, and if it does it's a simple hot swap type of fix. Some of the posts that I've read from other NOC guys make me jealous with what they get to do!

I don't want to look like a job hopper, but I feel like I'm wasting my time where I'm at. The extra down time does give me time to work on obtaining a BA degree, but that's at least 2 years from completion and I'd rather work on that while also gaining quality work experience. Then, of course, there's pay. I live in southern California and I'm not even breaking 50k. I'm completely okay with paying my dues while I learn, but if I'm getting paid crap and not even learning, then what's the point? My biggest worry is spending another 2 years, then interviewing with another company down the road and they say, "Sure you have 4 years of experience, but you didn't really do that much." I worry a lot about that.

My boss has mentioned some things about promotions within the company, but so far nothing has come to fruition. I have a feeling he's just saying that to keep me from leaving, but if I could advance within my company I'd much rather prefer this route. It is a good company, I'm just frustrated and feel like my wheels are spinning.

I'm hoping I can get some advice from others on this board. Is my pay really that bad, or am I thinking too much into this? If you were in my shoes what would you do? Should I stick it out and focus on getting a BA, or is it worth looking elsewhere to see what other options are out there?

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    You have two years with NOC experience? Hmmm... You're not jumping ship if you've been at your position for 2 years. Shoot me an e-mail. I might have a place for you to apply
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    astrogeek wrote: »

I don't want to look like a job hopper, but I feel like I'm wasting my time where I'm at. The extra down time does give me time to work on obtaining a BA degree, but that's at least 2 years from completion and I'd rather work on that while also gaining quality work experience. Then, of course, there's pay. I live in southern California and I'm not even breaking 50k. I'm completely okay with paying my dues while I learn, but if I'm getting paid crap and not even learning, then what's the point? My biggest worry is spending another 2 years, then interviewing with another company down the road and they say, "Sure you have 4 years of experience, but you didn't really do that much." I worry a lot about that.

I feel the same way in my current position! Low pay, not learning, no advancement and enrolled in WGU. I just recently landed another position (contract) and feel like it is worth the risk. I'm going to miss the extra downtime for school but I will need to make adjustments. I feel that by taking a new position it will help long term in my career.

Have you tried asking for more responsibilities at your current position? I suggest that you look around and see what openings might be available to you. If you find a great opportunity, take it. While you wait, try to focus on accelerating your degree if you can. Two years at the same company does not make you look like a job hopper.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    As hit on, 2 years != job hopping.

But, if you like the place and there IS opportunity to learn, talk to your boss about either transitioning roles, a promotion/raise, and getting involved in more in-depth projects. If those things aren't there, then take your skills elsewhere!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'll leave a few thoughts for you:
    - As other said, 2 years at a position is not job hopping. Don't worry about it. Even if you have an issue were you have to jump ship 2-3 months after being hired, it's OK. Just have a plan to explain it (it wasn't a good fit, etc.)
    - Empty promises are not promises at all. There's a wide gap between promising advancement and delivering it
    - Life is short. Period. You only get one chance. If you stop learning or stop having fun it is not worth it in my book. You have half the battle won just by realizing that the existing conditions are not optimal.

Do your research, move along and never look back.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Unless you're content sitting in the same position drawing a paycheck, staying in a position that is not challenging or fulfilling is foolish. If you're not learning in IT, you're dying.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Are you being afforded more responsibility, learning new things, being technically challenged, and enjoying the job? If the answer is no, then its time to move.

Will you truly be happy with a promotion at your company? What is it about the promotion that will make you enjoy that job? Is it just more pay and a different title, or will the promotion truly address some of the aforementioned items?
  • Options
    hellfire99hellfire99 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sometimes I feel the same that the post's owner. I have experience in Linux and Windows Servers, but without any certifications yet, helpdesk, and web technology. Im preparing to get MCITP as soon as possible, because i feel the need to move to otherside. New expectatives, challenges and other things that it would make me happy. I haven't moved yet because i didnt see ant offer interesting to do the change of place. But i dont wish spend more time than necessary to move to other place. If somebody has some suggest to me, it will be thankful
  • Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone for the advice. The company I work for has plenty of other positions that would give me a lot more experience, but they don't seem to do much promoting from within, and instead hire completely new people for the job. It's frustrating because it doesn't make any sense, but I guess it just is what it is. The pay isn't a huge deal to me, but what stings is that one of my co-workers makes significantly more than I do, yet does absolutely nothing. It didn't bother me at first, mostly because I just figured as long as I do a good job I should be promoted, but because nothing seems to be happening it is starting to bug me more and more.

I'm working on re-writing my resume and will start testing the waters for other jobs soon. I'm still hopeful something will happen at my current job, but I doubt if I did get it I'd get much of a bump up in pay anyway so I think moving on probably would be the smartest option for my career in the long run.
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nothing shows more seriousness in your career than job offer letters from other employers ^_^. You might even get multiple counter offers.

In the end, its your life, remember its you who decides how much you get paid, whether you know it or not.
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    CSCOnoobCSCOnoob Member Posts: 120
    astrogeek wrote: »
    The pay isn't a huge deal to me, but what stings is that one of my co-workers makes significantly more than I do, yet does absolutely nothing. It didn't bother me at first, mostly because I just figured as long as I do a good job I should be promoted, but because nothing seems to be happening it is starting to bug me more and more.

I was in your shoes few years ago. Majority of the guys made $30K+/yr more during my first year since they all had 5-10+ years of experience in the telecom/networking world and I was a networking noob with only AAS degree, A+ and CCNA. Also, being in the same company for so many years in different departments didn't help. It didn't bug me at first since I knew I was starting out. But then, most of these guys were not even in the CCNA level in most of the networking topics. The guys stopped learning and no aspirations of moving on up. I'm sure some of them did have aspirations to move up but they do not want to work their butt off. They believe they're entitled to move up without putting any work. Anyway, a couple of years later, I was able to close the gap but still made less compared to them. Fast forward, I am making more money now than they are and more technically superior to most of them, if not all of them.

Use that as a fuel to make yourself better than them.