Options

an application to monitor the network ?

GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
Hello all, I wonder what do you use to monitor the network, especially QoS. any easy solution ? Solarwinds and etc are expensive tools. I do want to monitor what may cause the ping latency ?

P.S i have used Nagios, but here what i am looking for an easy and quick solution for a very small network. I do wonder what people use out there

Comments

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SolarWinds works really well for QoS and network monitoring in general.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Nagios isn't a quick, easy, and FREE solution for a very small network..?!

Edit: FWIW on-site we use Groundwork, it's an open source network app wrapper and I believe they have a free version you can download here: http://www.gwos.com/downloads/overview/

We use the Nagios, Cacti and Weathermap components but it also comes with NeDi and NTop.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think Nagios is about the best free thing out there.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'll second Nagios here, albeit you need to have the time to give it the attention it needs to get the best results from it.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Another vote for Nagios.

You can run NSclient++ on your windows clients, run checks with good old SNMP, or a plethora of other ways. We're in process of removing groundworks from our Nagios deployment (previous admin's work). Groundworks makes Nagios easy, but is very bloated.

You can also check out ganglia, solarwinds, zenoss, and a bunch more. Have a look here for a decent list.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I tried different free tools but none of them was as easy to set up and use as Solarwinds.