Options

S#!% Recruiters say.

langenoirlangenoir Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
You all have probably heard about **** My Dad Says. Feel free to add your own.

Recruiter: Are you looking at any other opportunities? I need to know so that I don’t double submit you.
ME: (I list off some recent interviews.)
Recruiter: I have this position at XYZ company.
ME: Oh yeah I’ve seen that. I may have applied to that, I’ll need to check my records.

Recruiter: Yeah, I’m going to need you to stop doing that. When ever you submit your resume I can’t represent you and I can get you into an interview like that!

ME: (thinking) Oh so I’m just supposed to suspend my job search right now because you are going to just find me the most magical perfect job I’ve ever dreamt of. It’s going to be wonderful because you’re just looking out for my best interest right?

Me: (what I actually said) Oh ok, sure.

Me: (thinking) *sigh*

Comments

• Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Former recruiter. We had an employer who wanted to do immediate interviews with candidates. We lined up six people and the hiring manager came in and interviewed all of them in our office. He selected one. We submitted our bill for the person they selected, and HR said no, wont pay. We asked why, they said "We've already have this resume, so we won't pay." I countered with "So did you interview him?"

Dead silence. Ummm, no, I disqualified him.

So, the resume was never forwarded on to the hiring manager, who made the decision that he wanted this person? Guess what? Youre paying the fee or we will pull back the candidate.

After the manager got involved, he informed HR that all resumes for any of his department's open positions goes directly to him, PERIOD! They paid, and HR got a nice chewing out.

So I'd continue to push paper to whatever job you are interested in. If the company calls you, they saw your resume. If the recruiter calls you, they got it from them.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    A semi-recent email exchange with a Headhunter who was emailing me through my current employers email system icon_mad.gif He was persistent, I'll give him that, just...couldn't take a hint!

Headhunter : I was unable to reach you by phone, but was hoping to share a project I'm working in <insert location here>.
    Me: Can you provide more information what this project is about? Email communication is best for me. If this is sales related please desist.

Headhunter : I'm a headhunter working on a search in <location>, so should I spill the beans or desist? Phone is usually ideal as these potential job openings are frequently Q&A's anyway
    Me: Out of curiosity, did you obtain my contact information from LinkedIn? I'm not quite sure what keyword search would lead to me for this type of position.

Headhunter : Understood and I make it a practice to NOT disclose the nature of my reaching out unless I know it's a personal phone or email, so sorry to be vague but it more for you than me.
    Me: Thank you for your time but I am not looking for a new job.

Headhunter : Thanks for the quick reply. Because <location> is such a small IT Security community, who do you think would like to be aware a position exists?
    Me: Unfortunately I cannot assist with this request as I do not have pertinent information.

Headhunt er: Sorry I realized I didn't answer the second question. I found you on Linkedin through "IT System Administrator Security <location>". Additionally you listed "career opportunities, new ventures, reference requests, and job inquiries" as reasons to contact you, so I guess I'm confused why you would be either reluctant to learn more information prior to making a decision or be unwilling to recommend someone who could benefit from a raise, less travel, or better overall employment situation.
    Me: Thank you for reminding me to update my LinkedIn settings--hopefully that clears up your other questions.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a feeling this might become like the "Friday Fun" thread...
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah i had a recruiter recently tell me to stop applying directly for roles! That annoyed me...so i told them i never put my eggs in one basket.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Recruiter:"I got a perfect oporunity for you - Senior Unix Administrator / 3rd line support. Requirements are specifically custom kernel designs on Sun systems and BSD systems - you seem a perfect fit - if interested, please send over your updated CV"

Me:" May I ask where you got my contact details from ?"

Recruiter:" You posted your CV on site xyz"

Me:" Not true, even if it were true then

a. You wouldn't ask for my CV as you would have / downloaded it from site xyz - you clearly didn't
    b. You would know that all I know about Younix is how to spell it
    c. based on #b you would know that I am certainly NOT suitable .. not by a long shot.

Like I asked - where did you get my CV /contact details from?"

Recruiter: <click>
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    steve_fsteve_f Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Recriuter: Your skillset looks good for this job, but they need someone with DBA skills tools too, have you ever used SQL Server?

Me: not really, I installed it a couple of times, a couple of years ago.

Recruiter: <adds 5 years Database Administration to my CV and sends it to the employer>
  • Options
    langenoirlangenoir Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    steve_f wrote: »
    Recriuter: Your skillset looks good for this job, but they need someone with DBA skills tools too, have you ever used SQL Server?

Recruiter: <adds 5 years Database Administration to my CV and sends it to the employer>

Hurm, that smells of practices similar to the home mortgage meltdown. . .
  • Options
    Apollo80Apollo80 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    langenoir wrote: »
    Hurm, that smells of practices similar to the home mortgage meltdown. . .

Quite similar. Though, in this case, the candidate was unaware. I would not be surprised if some recruiters encouraged applicants to add specific content to their resume to appear as a better fit for an open position.
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I recently began replying to the jokers / recruiters.

" Please inform me what % of your commission that you will forward to me if I choose to let you represent me."icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    steve_f wrote: »

5 years? Wow!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Female Recruiter: "Hey I been trying to get in touch with you...i heard you started a new position with XYZ major corporations. Congrats!!"

ME: "Thanks. I am really enjoying my new position here."

Female Recruiter: "Hey I want to take you out for lunch...anywhere you would like to go!"

ME: "Sorry, I wont be able to do lunch....extremely busy!!"

Female Recruiter: "I completely understand. BTW: Can you give me the names and phone numbers of your CIO, CSO and IT Director out of your Outlook Address Book?"

ME: "Outlook---Tools ----Option----"Add user to Block SPAM List"
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    And some people wonder why we don't trust recruiters.

I have to say that I like that commission idea; reminds me of getting paid for your time wasted by telemarketers.
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I recently began replying to the jokers / recruiters.

" Please inform me what % of your commission that you will forward to me if I choose to let you represent me."icon_lol.gif

What did they respond back with.....well, if they did respond back...lol icon_lol.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    someasiandudesomeasiandude Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hhahaha good read -- keep em coming lol
    A.S. - Computer Networking Student (Spring 2014)

CompTIA A+ (passed 10/2012) ----> CompTIA Net+ ----> CCENT :study: ---> CCNA ---> ???