Options

Promoted to system admin! Finally out of helpdesk! OMG!!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats! I broke away from HD about 1.5 years ago, transitioned to a sysadmin role, and have since excelled in Linux and earned all the certifications under my name icon_cheers.gif Just don't forget that drive to learn and excel!!
  • Options
    apoole15apoole15 Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Way to go! Learn everything you can from your new role and continue to grow!
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Found out I got the promotion to system admin today!!! It was an internal posting that I applied for. First IT job off helpdesk and I'm excited! Duties cover a wide range of things from the windows network to servers, cisco routers, switches and the VOIP phones. I was wrong in my other thread where I thought that I did myself a disservice not mentioning the progress on the certs I'm working on. Seems people have been speaking highly of me all around IT. This change is effective tomorrow OMG!!

Congratulations! You have now taken your first step, yes I do mean "first" step in your IT career. Amazing feeling to be making progress huh?

I cannot say it enough the importance of getting your foot in the door, then once in the door through your determination and hard work the word will spread that you are capable of much more. That seems to be exactly what has happened with you, word got around that you had what it takes to fill the role and excel from there.

Again, congrats!
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    Thanks guys! Still can't believe it myself! I say that because I had only been with this company for about 5 months and they say you have to be in your position for at least 6 months before you can change positions. In this case they made an exception. There are some things I need to kinda pick up real soon. System Center 2012 is something I need to buckle down on as well as Kaseya so I'll probably be spending a lot of time studying these things over the next few weeks. If anyone can recommend any good System Center training material (Preferably free!!!) that would be greatly appreciated. Another of my main responsibilities will be the voip phones.

Kaseya is in my environment here, what kind of VoIP phones you have there? CUCM?

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We have 7960/7970s and some 7912s floating around. We do indeed use CUCM here for the phones which is why I'm working on my CCNA Voice because it's stuff that I can apply to the job at hand right now.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Code I think you will handle System Center easily. The tool itself is easy to understand its setting up SCCM that can be tricky / difficult. I YouTube all my SCCM information until I found Army guides on the installation portion of it. There are some good guides online (I have them bookmarked at home so I will send them to you once I can). Also Microsofts official site / technet has some good readings on SCCM.
    We have 7960/7970s and some 7912s floating around. We do indeed use CUCM here for the phones which is why I'm working on my CCNA Voice because it's stuff that I can apply to the job at hand right now.

I have the whole CCNA voice study guide in PDF format if you want. You will be able to handle Ciscos call manager, its a pretty easy tool. I would read up if you do not have any knowledge of VOIP or how phone technology works.
  • Options
    biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the promotion. Having had to step down from an admin type position back to a help desk/deskside support role, I am looking forward to this day again myself. Good luck on your CCNA:Voice.

Gene
  • Options

Nice! Let me know if you have any questions, PM me. I'm running CUCM 7.1 here, 8.6 in my old environment

• Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats and keep moving on up icon_cool.gif
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz! Was going to ask you how you moved from Help Desk to Sys Admin, but from a previous post it looks like it was an internal transition, plus you have your CCNA and Sec+... best of luck and congratz again!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats CodeBlox!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Way to go, Code! Congrats!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the move to Sys Admin. Like higherho said technet is the only free source I know of right now that has system center 2012 info. The windows engineer and I here at work just got done setting config man 2012 up and have been migrating clients over to it the past few days. Its not really too much to learn.

If you have a safaribooks account they have a couple books on there covering system center 2012. Good luck with the new position.
  • Options
    etbjr182etbjr182 Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats man!!! I remember reading all your help desk stories, glad to hear you finally made it out. How did you sell yourself for the sys admin position? Did you have any experience or help some of the other sys admins? Any advice for others trying to move on up?
    Currently studying for 70-640 :study:
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well I started to take ownership of some higher level work. At first it was only the system admins/sr engineer who was doing the setting up switchports and setting up VOIP phones. I know how to do these things and started to do them. Another thing is I was REALLY good at doing helpdesk here so people were able to say "He's really good". I won't be doing just Cisco stuff. I'll be standing up servers, working with system center, patching, backups, etc... Plus the time finally came because one of the admins left for another job and another got canned (it was his own fault, wont get into detail).
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    truckfittruckfit Banned Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats.

I was kind of in a position like you.

I wasn't in helpdesk but it was a dead end junior system admin role where there was no career progression.

I found a better role as a technical consultant else where and I am leaving my current place.

9 more days in my last place.
  • Options
    discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    Congratulations, but out of curiosity how long ago did you earn your CCNA ? usually a certification of that nature is well beyond help desk I would think
    Found out I got the promotion to system admin today!!! It was an internal posting that I applied for. First IT job off helpdesk and I'm excited! Duties cover a wide range of things from the windows network to servers, cisco routers, switches and the VOIP phones. I was wrong in my other thread where I thought that I did myself a disservice not mentioning the progress on the certs I'm working on. Seems people have been speaking highly of me all around IT. This change is effective tomorrow OMG!!
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    WTG Keep up the strong efforts
  • Options
    Complete_IT_ProfessionalComplete_IT_Professional Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the promotion, that's awesome!
    I run CompleteITProfessional.com - a website dedicated to helping IT professionals improve their careers.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats lil homie. thats wats up!
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the promotion!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    tecketecke Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congradulations Sir!
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    That is wonderful news! Keep up the hard work!
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome! Congrats!
  • Options
    X10MMXX10MMX Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Firstly, congrats on the promo..
    System Center 2012 is something I need to buckle down on as well as Kaseya so I'll probably be spending a lot of time studying these things over the next few weeks. If anyone can recommend any good System Center training material.

I just passed the System Center 2012 exam. I was a bit skeptical when I started studying for this exam as I had never really used System Center before but its really easy to pick up and get on with. I just setup a lab at home(free 180 day trial) and the CBT nuggets helped. My company did send me on the 5 day course though. Have a google around there are a lot of helpful articles and blog posts on SCCM 2012! If you have any questions send me a message, ill try to help :)

Also we use kaseya where I work but I don't really look after that side of it.
  • Options
    truckfittruckfit Banned Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    X10MMX wrote: »
    Firstly, congrats on the promo..

I just passed the System Center 2012 exam. I was a bit skeptical when I started studying for this exam as I had never really used System Center before but its really easy to pick up and get on with. I just setup a lab at home(free 180 day trial) and the CBT nuggets helped. My company did send me on the 5 day course though. Have a google around there are a lot of helpful articles and blog posts on SCCM 2012! If you have any questions send me a message, ill try to help :)

Also we use kaseya where I work but I don't really look after that side of it.

Very nice, you had a good challenge ahead of you.

Did you get a salary increase?