Quick Work Related Question(s)

1) When you come to work do your co-workers speak to you? For example, "Good morning Chuck"

2) We have a few individuals who tend to worry about what others are doing way too much. How would you handle them as a co-worker?

3) I have a few co-workers who have not spoken to me since I began this position. How would you handle this?

4) Lastly, besides doing a great job at work. How can you earn the respect of your leadership and co-workers?

Thanks for your responses. :)

Comments

• AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    1. Yeah coworkers talk to me, because I talk to them.

2. Let them worry, if they're just coworkers then you don't need to tell them everything you're doing.

3. Have you talked to them? -Communication is a two-way street.

4. By getting to know them on a more personal level and showing them what I do outside of work to better myself and our company.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    1) Yes. I socialize and try to be cheerful and they respond in kind.

2) I wouldn't handle them at all unless I am their manager. People are nosy by nature. Some more than others. I find this behavior amusing but I try not to let it worry me.

3) After attempting to extend a warm welcome or trying to strike up a conversation a few times, I wouldn't handle it at all if they did not respond in kind. It sounds like they have their own issues and it probably doesn't have anything to do with me.

4) You do your job well and if you're not in a position to do it well without knowledge or assistance, you establish rapport with the peers that are open to it. Never underestimate the small things: Bring in coffee/donuts, invite them out for a drink after work, talk about a subject you know they like, show that you're willing to work hard, offer to take some work off their plate if they assist you in show you the first few steps, etc. Establishing that rapport can be as easy as finding that one thing you have in common. An example of this is something that happened with me recently. I have a coworker who's beyond brilliant and who I have to work with every day. One thing we disagree on is politics which we are polar opposites on and he's very passionate about talking about it all the time. Instead of getting into a debate or letting that get in the way of our professional, we found other common ground to bond on. Things like the Walking Dead, the fact that he enjoys mentoring younger network engineers such as myself, family life, etc. We get along spectacularly despite having some fundamental ideological differences
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • neo9006neo9006 Member Posts: 195
    1. Usually not, the guy I work with the most, we talk and say good morning or at least he says what is up?
    2.I wouldn't worry about them, I have seen and heard people get into it but that is with a few people in our office.
    3.I would just do my job, this reminds me allot of my ex boss, there will be a month go by before he say something to me, I tended to ignore it and just go with the flow, I figured things out years ago how he is, thank god he got married, he mellowed out allot then.
    4.Do a great job, use your intelligence in getting the job done and using your judgement if you can on how to handle a situation. Communication is key like akari said. I communicate daily which is fine, everyone is in the loop and I know what is expected. Talk about other things, that is one of the things my ex boss and I would do, we could talk 30 minutes about how our families where or he ask about how my wife was doing with her job hunting and stuff.
    BAAS - Web and Media Design
    Working on A+