Options

When Packet Tracer is missing a command

lilmansdadlilmansdad Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
For those of you using PT exclusively, what are you doing when PT does not have one of the needed commands?

Comments

• Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    My recommendation is to see if you can't find an example of it on YouTube or something. You can always hit up one of the free rack rental sites as well to practice those few commands.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    The Packet Tracer labs in the Cisco Academy shouldn't use any commands that Packet Tracer doesn't already have. Have you asked your instructor?
  • Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    I thought that it was missing some commands. But the more i learned the PT, i realized that i was in the wrong interface. Still now and then i miss some commands, but with little help and research, i figure it out. For ICND1 and ICND2, PT is enough for you.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    You then fire up GNS3
  • Options
    MichaelPetermanMichaelPeterman Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I Remember not being able to do some form of switch port security in PT
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check out this guy's channel on Youtube. He does a lot with Packet Tracer. Look for CCNA 1,2,3, &4.

DansCourses - YouTube

hth
  • Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    There are a few areas where Packet Tracer is lacking for CCNA study. Off the top of my head I'd have to say, no SDM suport, EIGRP authentication, inability to configure SSH, I'm sure there are others I just can't remember at the moment. So it will suffice for about 85% of what you need, for the rest you need to have another solution on hand like real equipment, rack rental, or GNS3.
  • Options
    zuulzuul Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yea, I don't know why PT isn't a full complement and you should have to go to GNS3, but it ain't. I found a list of the ones missing from somewhere (below) but it would be nice to find a list of everything that's missing. Also for those who haven't found it, in PT > Help . contents > switch IOS there is a list of everything it will do. Danscourses are great though, he has a unique approach to tutorials.
    Z
    • ip router isis
    • neighbor A.B.C.D (under router ospf)
    • clear ip ospf process
    • area x range (under router ospf)
    • summary-address (under router ospf, on ASBR)
    • show ip ospf virtual-links
    • redistribute rip subnets metric 10 (under router ospf)
    • auto-cost reference-bandwidth 1000 (under router ospf)
    • ip multicast-routing
    • ip pim sparse (under interface)
    • router bgp AS_NUMBER
    • ipv6 address (under interface)
    • key chain (under config)
    • ip rip (under interface)