Options

What to write down before the exam

DANMOH009DANMOH009 Member Posts: 241
What did or are people thinking of writing down on the blanks sheet of paper, before the exam, i know a lot of people write subnetting charts, But i feel quite confident with subnetting. I was thinking of just writing down the networks in 16s, as sometimes its hard to remeber your 16 times tables.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

Comments

• Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I didn't write down anything before the exam, but had to when answered a few questions.
  • Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    Nothing - only wrote things down when I needed to. I don't even understand the subnetting chart!
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Options
    were you given timebefore the exam to write down? or was it in exam time they expect you to write? if its exam time forget it! its there are moments before im thinking i want to use it wisely.
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    You can write down whatever you want when you take the exam tutorial or whatever it's called. However, I was so impatient, that I just skipped it and started answering the questions.
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I personally waited for the exam to start and before I answered the first question. I wrote down the powers of 2 across the top representing 8 bits and their values on my laminated sheet. Keep it out of the way in case you are allowed an eraser, you can erase your scribble without erasing your go to table. You should be able to subnet quickly without it anyway but putting down a quick reference table can help prevent common subnet math pitfalls. For me it helped on a few questions for the ICND1 and especially the ICND2. It only takes about 30 seconds to do so and it can save you time if your nerves aren't stable later on. This is just how I do it.
  • Options
    Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    I personally waited for the exam to start and before I answered the first question. I wrote down the powers of 2 across the top representing 8 bits and their values on my laminated sheet. Keep it out of the way in case you are allowed an eraser, you can erase your scribble without erasing your go to table. You should be able to subnet quickly without it anyway but putting down a quick reference table can help prevent common subnet math pitfalls. For me it helped on a few questions for the ICND1 and especially the ICND2. It only takes about 30 seconds to do so and it can save you time if your nerves aren't stable later on. This is just how I do it.

Exactly what I did as well.
  • Options
    Brandon1981Brandon1981 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @DANMOH009

I wrote this chart down before the ICND2 exam, and I swear it helped me pass. Basically it's just a quick reference to figure out what your increments are based on the number of bits in the mask. Really helpful for VLSM or "Is this host in the correct subnet" types of questions.

Brandon
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Many of the agreements an exam candidate must sign before taking a certification exam expressly forbid writing anything down BEFORE the exam has started. Only AFTER the exam clock has started ticking may you write down whatever you want on your note board.

Always read what you are signing so you don't inadvertently break the rules you are agreeing to.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @DANMOH009

I wrote this chart down before the ICND2 exam, and I swear it helped me pass. Basically it's just a quick reference to figure out what your increments are based on the number of bits in the mask. Really helpful for VLSM or "Is this host in the correct subnet" types of questions.

Brandon
    Technically what you have as mask is incorrect. The mask is for example 255.255.255.128 with a CIDR of /25
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Thanks brandon, i have been looking and i think i need to write up in 16s somewhere i find it difficult when i get to the 176 and 192 places and so on..
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Many of the agreements an exam candidate must sign before taking a certification exam expressly forbid writing anything down BEFORE the exam has started. Only AFTER the exam clock has started ticking may you write down whatever you want on your note board.

Always read what you are signing so you don't inadvertently break the rules you are agreeing to.

^---agreed. I never write anything down before the exam starts for this reason. I don't want to leave any chance for my score to be in question.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Brandon1981Brandon1981 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok, let me correct myself...the second the timer starts, I write down this chart. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    txraider09txraider09 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1