Options

Can i connect Console cable to Wifi router ethernet port using converter?

gprasadbgprasadb Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can i connect Console cable to Wifi router ethernet port using converter?

I am trying to connect the terminal server to wifi router using console cable so that i can access the router and switch using wifi but i need to know whether it works if i connect using the converter (RJ45 to DB9 male).

Please guide me

Many Thanks
Guruprasad

Comments

• Options
    Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    Just getting a cable converter isn't going to work. The wifi router will still need to know how to access the medium. Bits, flow control, parity, stuff like that. So I highly doubt it will work. Best bet is to just stick with SSH or Telnet.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What type of terminal server do you have?
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    I am using Cisco router 2509 as terminal server and linksys x3000 as wifi router.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How would this be possible since the linksys router does not have an IOS?
  • Options
    i am using the Linksys router only as wifi router to connect the terminal server from my laptop through Wifi. Please guide here whether i will be able to connect the console cable to wifi router ethernet port.

Otherwise let me know is there anyway where i can access the terminal server through Wirelessly.
  • Options
    What you'll need to do is order this: AUI, Ethernet, Transceivers, Transceiver CablesAndKits.com Cisco Ethernet Transceivers then configure one of your Serial interfaces with an IP address in the same subnet range of your home network.

To add to this to exclude confusion. You'll need to purchase the above adapter. Once you configure your Serial interface with an IP address, connect a straight-through cable from the adapter to your home router (I guess it has built in wireless) from there you should be able to access your access server through your wireless.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Console ports and ethernet ports use two separate protocols for communication. You can't plug a console cable into an ethernet port and expect it to communicate.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As far as I know you do not get to any CLI on any Lynksys;
    you can go to the GUI,
    by means of the default IP,you type it into your URL.
    The Firmware revision for the linksys is not a full blown IOS, but it is an operating system and is programable.
    3rd party firmware is available, but if you just go at it you may BRICK it. 3rd party firmware does offer features to make it worth the trouble.

search: 3rd party firmware router, modems can also be tweaked by means of memory upgrade, but the ram is an embedded soj, you need a re-work station to change the memory; several guys sell upgraded modems.<(be carefull with that).
  • Options
    The only 3rd party software I've seen is DD-WRT and Tomato. Though, upgrading your firmware on your home router won't achieve his goal. He'll need to refer to my above posts for the AUI adapter.
    Console ports and ethernet ports use two separate protocols for communication. You can't plug a console cable into an ethernet port and expect it to communicate.
    I knew this already, I guess I should have added more... Which, I have now added to it.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Yes he does need the transceiver but that does not get him into a CLI of a linksys.

If it does please DO Tell!
    I would love that!
  • Options
    I doubt he needs to go into the CLI of the router, not that it'll work. He'll just need to configure the Access Server with an IP of his home network. I.E his home router 192.168.0.1/24 configure the Access Server with an IP of 192.168.0.2/24. Once he gets the transceiver he'll connect from that to a port on his home router (with a straight-through cable), open Putty and then go to telnet 192.168.0.2. Done.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    Yes he does need the transever but that does not get him into a CLI of a linksys.

If it does please DO Tell!
    I would love that!

He isn't trying to get into the Linksys. He is just using it as a bridge to get into his 2509 CLI wirelessly.

Have you done this before MAC_Addy? Very interesting concept. I'd try it if I was hell bent on having a wireless setup.
  • Options
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    What you'll need to do is order this: AUI, Ethernet, Transceivers, Transceiver CablesAndKits.com Cisco Ethernet Transceivers then configure one of your Serial interfaces with an IP address in the same subnet range of your home network.

To add to this to exclude confusion. You'll need to purchase the above adapter. Once you configure your Serial interface with an IP address, connect a straight-through cable from the adapter to your home router (I guess it has built in wireless) from there you should be able to access your access server through your wireless.

The AUI adapters are for converting the AUI to RJ45 both being ethernet, not serial to ethernet. You can't connect a serial interface to an enthernet interface because the serial interface does not speak ethernet!
  • Options
    Oh sheet. You're right networker. Thanks for pointing that out.

Have you done this before MAC_Addy? Very interesting concept. I'd try it if I was hell bent on having a wireless setup.
    Not on a linksys router. But I have my console server plugged into my Asus router, from there I can access anywhere in my house. I also have telnet opened up on my router so I can access my rack from anywhere, too.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    I am bit confused here.@MAC_Addy - Let me know if i buy AUI transceivers will solve my problem?My moto is to access the terminal server from anywhere in the house through Wifi.
  • Options
    You can not connect the console to the ethernet port. You can however connect the ethernet port on your 2509 to the ethernet port on your wifi router using an AUI transceiver. Assign an IP address and authentication and you will be able to telnet in.
  • Options
    I don't have ethernet port on 2509. i can see 2 serial, AUI, AUX and Console port on my cisco 2509.
  • Options
    georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    gprasadb wrote: »
    I don't have ethernet port on 2509. i can see 2 serial, AUI, AUX and Console port on my cisco 2509.

Let's go back to the basics here. What is an AUI and what is it used for? From the CLI of the console server, what interfaces does the IOS say it has available to it?

You also need to see about purchasing a transceiver as described earlier in the thread.
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • Options
    As georgemc pointed out I think you are a bit confused on what the AUI is. Remember RJ45 does not equal ethernet thought it is one of the most popular terminations for it.
  • Options
    So i need to buy AUI transceiver and plug it to AUI port and assign a IP for that port.

Then need to connect Ethernet cable to Ethernet port of Wifi router and AUI Transceiver.

Hope my understanding is correct?
  • Options
    aui transceiver | eBay

$10.00 cheep get one, it hooks up to your 2509 and you then plug in any cat 5 ethernet cable.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    gprasadb wrote: »
    So i need to buy AUI transceiver and plug it to AUI port and assign a IP for that port.
    Exactly, network interfaces didn't start to have integrated MAUs until about the early 90's when 10Base-T took off, and I was still buying routers in the mid-to-late 90's with AUI ports (e.g., all the 2500 series). Instead all devices had external transceivers and there were lots to choose from - who here remembers 10Base-FB? icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Now i am able to connect the terminal server from my laptop through Wifi router.

Bought AUI-RJ45 Transceiver and hooked it in AUI port of 2509 and provided a IP within the same subnet and hence able to access terminal server and inturn all the routers and switches connected to Terminal Server.

Thanks to all for provided the inputs :)