Options

Can it be done? Ripv2-FR-OSPF and HOW?

DANMOH009DANMOH009 Member Posts: 241
Hi,

Im in the process of configuring a lab testing my skills and ive hit a brick wall.

Basically i have one working internetwork running RIP and one Internetwork running OSPF.

I tried linking the two together via a frame relay link but im finding it a bit difficult.

I have configured the end routers on both internetworks to link together via a frame relay cloud and the map statements are correct.
I also configured these routers with default routes going out the serial interface towards the FR cloud ( and redistributed it to there own networks).

I can ping the FR links direct from the end routers successfully.

But pings from other routers in the network dont work.

I was wondering if one network is RIPv2 and the other side is OSPF will this work / can this work ????

If its way above the scope of the CCNA then i wont focus too much on it but it would be nice to know, If its in the scope of the CCNA then dam i need to know this because im super stuck at the moment.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It can work yes. Not sure what your problem is though but it's certainly possible to get it going.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    The IT GuyThe IT Guy Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    here are a few troubleshooting tips that come to mind:

1. Double check your Frame Relay switch config commands Frame Relay Switch Configuration For Cisco Lab

2. Make sure you didnt leave out your metric in your redistibution command. Redistribution will not work without a applying a metric. (An exception for OSPF external routes that have a default seed metric of 20)

3. Ensure you dont have any old access-list, prefix-list, distribute-list, route maps etc. filtering traffic from previous configs. This sometimes happens when you use the same addressing schema all the time and not erase old configs
  • Options
    DANMOH009DANMOH009 Member Posts: 241
    Thanks,

Gonna read the guides from start to finish,

Is this knowledge also needed for the CCNA exam?
  • Options
    The IT GuyThe IT Guy Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I dont think you will come accross redistribution on the CCNA blueprint. View the exam topics on Cisco's site.
  • Options
    atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    Can be done, just played around with it now, definitely not CCNA level. Had to manually specify the neighbours otherwise they wouldn't come up despite setting frame relay to broadcast.