Lasik Surgery

PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
I had Lasik 2 days ago. What a difference now! Free of glasses and contacts. Has anybody else here had this done? How has it worked for you?

Comments

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    i want it
    near sited?
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I'd like to have it done in 2013.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    i want it
    near sited?

Very. 20/400.
    Now I am 20/20
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    i have an astigmatism, i really want it but its like 1100 cash here so im gonna have to save up
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • dpjackal89dpjackal89 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    this has always sounded good. how much does it cost?
    Cost really depends on what equipment is used. I used laser for both, with insurance discounts, mine was about $1300 /eye.
    They can fix astigmatism, too.
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Do they give you a good general sedative to keep you from freaking out?
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm thinking of having it done next year, but I need to get a second opinion on the type of Lasik I'm eligible for. (The Ellis folks said they'd have to do the Wave Lasik, which takes something like two to four weeks to heal up before I can see straight.)

Where did you have it done? Any details or thoughts about the process you want to share?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't like something cutting my eye ball if it works now. Albeit with glasses, which is fine.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

DPG wrote: »
    Do they give you a good general sedative to keep you from freaking out?

Yes. They gave me 2 lorazapam pills. That kept me relaxed. I swept most of the day and all night, which is very important the first day.

Slowhand, I had it done at King Lasik. He has done over 50,000 procedures. I would ask about.custom vue and intralase (full lasik)
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Its awesome. No real pain if everything goes okay. I had PRK so they put in a temporary lens for me. unfortunately it fell out which HURTS... A LOT. But assuming that doesnt happen you'll be fine and it is amazing living life without being beholden to glasses.
    I was nervous about PRK, so I went with the laser instead, to make the flap. Overall, the procedure is quite simple:

They put in the numbing eye drops, so you won't feel anything. They wear off after about 6-8 hours, so some Tylenol or Motrin helps. Using the laser to make the flap is quick, they then pull the flap back, use the laser to reshape the cornea, then close flap, rinse it off and make sure it's in place.

The most important thing is to rest and keep your eyes closed. You do a follow up the next day to make sure the flap is still in place. Then another follow up a week later. So far, it's been great. My eyes are bit dry, but the lubricant eye drops keep them moist. You can also have them put in temporary plugs for the tear ducts. These keep the tears in your eyes, so they stay moist.
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I had CustomVue LASIK with IntraLase done about two months ago. Cost around $2200/eye. Don't remember what my vision was before hand but the doctor said it was close to legally blind, I now have better than 20/10 vision. Nobody can guarantee those sorts of results, or that you'll see better at all, but the majority of people have improved vision.

As far as the surgery goes, it's a bit uncomfortable, they gave me Vicodin before hand. It's after that can suck because your eyes start to burn but you can't rub them of course. In my case I wasn't allowed to read or look at pretty much any type of backlit screenfor 24 hours, which was quite boring; I slept and listened to music for most of that time. After a few days I was able to see well enough to drive. I had to use artificial tear, steriod, and antibiotic drops for about a week after.

I'm certainly happy with the results.
    The one thing I'm worried about are the complications. Even though being told "I'm a perfect candidate" means little to the odd changes of what could happen.

Not so much the laser burning a hole through my skull... but things like glare or longer-lasting complications!

I've read too many horror stories of people going through the eye surgery, going to where they thought was "The Best" and ending up with complications that make the eye sight worse-off. Might not happen right away, but within a year, things tend to pop up if anything is wrong from what I've read.

So I ask this of everyone, as the skeptic in the thread, do your research. Do plenty of research, do more than you would for any certification - You have 1 pair of eyes. Do a lot of thinking and don't go cheap!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• HectorPHectorP Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had mine done this past January. It was full laser intralase. I have high stigmatism and am very near-sighted. I've been wearing glasses since I was 10. My contact lens prescription was -4.50 if that means anything. I finally broke down and save up for the procedure. I also did a lot of research. Like Rogue mentions, you only have one pair of eyes. I just had my last checkup and I'm still at 20/20. No more bullet proof lenses!

The procedure was very quick and painless. some anesthetic drops and total time of 10 mins. I had a minor headache when I left office but went home and took a 2hr nap. When I woke up, I could see fine, just a little light sensitive. No reading or tv that day. The next day I felt like a million bucks! As I walked down the street I'm almost certain I heard the song 'Stayin Alive' playing.

I'm definitely glad I got it done. No regrets. No negative side effects. Perfect day/night vision. I've recommended it to everyone I know who wears glasses. Yes, you should thoroughly research the doctors in your area and find one you're comfortable with. There's never a guarantee with anything but I think the current percentages of satisfied customers is great.
    HectorP a few questions since you've had it done for a while (Almost a year):
    Where did you go?
    How much did it cost per eye?
    What procedure?
    What doctor?

A track record of known good doctors, no matter the location, is good. Hey, I say no matter the location because I'm sure we can all agree on (A) A competent surgeon with experience, no matter the distance, is well worth the small amount of cash to fly out to have it done. You got 1 set of eye balls, kiddos!

It's like buying an expensive car, as I say to the sales persons "The price you gouge me, I can fly out somewhere to pick something up, and have gas money left over to come back."

[Somehow I don't think the dealerships like hearing that; Would explain the poster on the walls at the local Toyota dealership.]

I would like to be glasses free. I'm still wearing my old glasses from Basic training - not the BCGs, either!

• Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I had mine several years ago, one of the best decisions ever
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got my surgery when I was 18 in 2008. I did have 20/15 after the surgery, but recent eye exams have put me at 20/25 or 20/30. It does bum me out that my vision is slightly fading, but getting lasik was one of the best choices in my life.
  • HectorPHectorP Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @Roguetadhg - I had mine done when I was stationed in the Philippines and it cost me $1,500 total. This was partly a financial decision. I did find a great doctor when I was in Chicago. I was originally going to use this person but the cost was $4k total and the timing didn’t work out. I only found them a few days before I was returning overseas and was unable to extend. I can pm you (or anyone) the details if you are interested. I will use them if/when I need to get a touch up. The procedure was IntraLase although I chose the additional option to use laser to perform the opening incision versus manual cutting. I agree that traveling to a great doctor is worth the extra cost except in my case. That’s just too far. It was a great feeling on throwing out my collection of 4 glasses and 8 BCGs!

It was the best decision to have it done. I hope I don’t ever need anything more than reading glasses but if I do, I have no reservations about doing it again. I have to add one last thing. The last part of the procedure involved cleaning the area. Everything was soooo clear. No more squiggly things in your peripheral vision! I wish I could just go back periodically and have the lens cleaned. I can’t overemphasize how clear you see. It was awesome!
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Is it so much better than using contacts? I wore glasses until I was 18, then switched to contacts. Now they start bothering me and I'm thinking about Lasik. However, my eyes can only handle PRK, which is supposed to be more painful icon_sad.gif
  • theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sratakhin wrote: »
    Is it so much better than using contacts? I wore glasses until I was 18, then switched to contacts. Now they start bothering me and I'm thinking about Lasik. However, my eyes can only handle PRK, which is supposed to be more painful icon_sad.gif

For me, it was such a great thing. I wore glasses from about age 9 until 15, then wore contacts from 15 to 19, at which point I got Lasik done. It's so conveinent to not have to put something on, or put something in to see correctly and clearly. Also, call me cheesey, but for the first couple of months (until I got used to it) after getting the surgery, life was so much brighter and more vivid. I felt like colors were truer and more "alive". It was a great decision, for me.
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    i have an astigmatism

Yeah I got astigmatism in both eyes, at varying degree of curvature. Lasik has been on my mind as well, good thread
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would have worried about LASIK, I dont like the idea of having an eye flap. I worry enough about getting dust or a bug or w/e in my eye. Not to mention that I would like to do martial arts, so when the doc mentioned the possibility or ripping the flap...
  • pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    I got it done last to last year and I am not a nerd anymore icon_cheers.gif works out well for first few months I used to wake up and start searching for my glasses on the night stand (force of habit)
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
    Isn't there a way to do the eye-improvement without slicing the eye like a tomato? I try to be active as well. I like my paintball!

I hope you wear goggles when playing paintball. I played for years. Anyways, I had my 1 week follow-up today. Vision has stabilized to 20/15 now. Couldn't be happier.
    I wear a full mask. getting shot in the face with it on once; I'm glad I had it on. Tasted paint for a week!

I like woods paintball instead of arenas though. That, unfortantly, seems to be easier up north where the spiders aren't the size of small dogs.

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    I wear a full mask. getting shot in the face with it on once; I'm glad I had it on. Tasted paint for a week! I like woods paintball instead of arenas though. That, unfortantly, seems to be easier up north where the spiders aren't the size of small dogs.
    You are not that far off from the truth. I some times feel like Indiana Jones when I see spiders and snakes around my house. This guy scared me silly recently:

SPIDER_TOP.JPG

I see a lot of these Yellow and Black spiders from Charleston all the way up to columbia. The webs they weave. Good heavens. I actually walked around my fiance's block and counted the number of webs I could see just from the street.

I threw a pine cone at the first one. The web was easily over 6 feet, attached to the stop-sign and the tree.

We have a poisonous spiders in SC, not to mention snakes, gators. Man, I miss the northern states for paintball. Less things that'll easily kill you in the woods.

My glasses were dirty, so I almost walked into the first web. If I had lasik, I probably would've seen it there. See how I tied this post into the thread! :D

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah we have those things in Greenville as well. Actually, I saw once last year while taking a close look at a bush. It was right in front of me and I nearly jumped out of my skin. When I lived in Michigan the most dangerous thing I could find in the woods would be the ticks carrying lyme disease. Now I have snakes and spiders to watch out for :p It does beat snow though.