Options

Pretty Useless Exam Alright

scraig4195scraig4195 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm about 2 months in to a 12-month Network Engineer Diploma program at the #1 career / technical college here in Canada, which includes A+, Net+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE, CCNA Certification tracks. I have 12 years of business experience including the last 5 in IT or IT-related roles. I have done everything except manage a network, completed the A+ courses with a 95% average and felt I had aced both certification exams as well.

Both times I was given a report with missing the pass mark by 7 points. I doubt I will be taking the Net+ CompTIA exam, I'll spend the vouchers I have on Microsoft Exams thank you very much. Now I know why everyone in the IT Consulting business think CompTIA is a joke!! It is.

I also got 100% on my OS Final and 86% on my Hardware Final in the course. Useless once I get my MCSE, CCNA anyway.

Comments

• Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    CompTIA exams are ENTRY-LEVEL certs, someone with your expeince should not take those exams unless you just want the certs.

IMO its not a joke, for the inexperience guys and gals, they are so happy and proud to accomplish such a cert. They put in a lot to get a passing score and are poud to say they are certified.

Using a bridge(one step at a time) to cross a river is a greater achievement than to jump across the river...

2.5 pesos
    What next?
  • Options
    qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    So let me get this straight?

You're mad because you failed.

I'm assuming you only read one book which is the book your professor/instructor recommended you. I'm enrolled in a Computer Systems Technology Course (Network Administration with a third year focusing in wireless security) in Toronto.

I believe my instructor did recommend me a good book but it obviously wasn't enough. I went through tons of tech notes, online quizzers, and a couple of network books. Obviously the exam CompTIA gave me were harder then the exam my instructor gave me for my final grade.

Decides, you could use A+ as a credit or something towards your MCSE. If you don't pass the A+ you still have to pass a MCSE test similar to it and do you think it's going to be easier?
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
  • Options
    jaeusmjaeusm Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Now I know why everyone in the IT Consulting business think CompTIA is a joke!! It is.

...and yet, you failed it.

It doesn't matter what classes you take or how much experience you have -- you still have to pass the certification exam(s) to get the certification.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    scraig4195 wrote:
    ..... I have 12 years of business experience including the last 5 in IT or IT-related roles. I have done everything except manage a network, completed the A+ courses with a 95% average and felt I had aced both certification exams as well.

I also got 100% on my OS Final and 86% on my Hardware Final in the course. Useless once I get my MCSE, CCNA anyway.

icon_confused.gif: icon_confused.gif:

I'm curious......

As a person with 5 years in IT/IT related roles(??) (per your words above)be enrolled in a year long program? What was your goal when you paid the big bucks to go to this school??? Were you not currently in IT already?

Also, what type of work did you do in those 5 years??? You also stated that you do not have Network Experience but have done everything else?

Perhaps you posted to vent some frustration, but the A+ certificate (as well as other certificates) becomes a joke when people have not EARNED it (not going into my rant on that here).

Comptia offers Vendor Neutral exams. A+ is hardly an entry level exam as someone mentioned!!!

It tends to be the first exam of many people because usually hardware is judged to be 'Easy'. Hardware and basic OS's are far easier to comprehend than the OSI model for a newer IT person, but actually understanding the components is not 'easy'. Just usually enjoyable by the masses.

People who tend to take A+ because they have found themselves working with hardware...generally start as board swappers. Perhaps working in a computer store, doing ram upgrades. Later moving into GC, NIC and other cards. Perhaps a drive or two and maybe one day the full Mobo.

After the small graduation from ram swapper, the bulk of the other device installs require some knowledge of the OS to update drivers or ensure the drivers are found correctly. Do this for six months or so, a person is likely to see a few things and possibly even add some print device tests....

Certainly, to do all this compentently, one should be a good candidate for the A+ exam, but that doesn't mean they have actually had enough variety in their job to:
    1. justify taking the exam
    2. make them need to take the exam (not everyone NEEDS to be A+ certified, IMO)

Ok...off my soapbox as its even sounds to me like a rant and it is not

I'm betting your peeved as you didn't pass the exam. Oh well! Many successful IT fail an exam every now and again. It's not the test and it doesn't mean you do not have a full understanding of the material.

Take it again, and again and again if you need to retake it. As soon as you'll start those MS exams, you may find yourself longing for a straight-forward Comptai ;)

How you handle this process states more about you than the number of certificates you hold (IMO).

If you have any questions on topics the members may be able to clarify, post them in the forums, we'll do what we can :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    These entry level certs (a+) (Net +) will give you a good foundation for further experience and learning. Their basic certs just basic! This forum needs to be tougher on some individuals here
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you can't pass A+ how in the hell are you going to pass MCSE exams???
  • Options
    ja5983ja5983 Member Posts: 129
    i think someone really needs an attitude change before they try to go for any MS or Cisco certs. You think that A+ is useless? Wait till you see cisco certs...you will start crying about how they arent even worth the paper they are printed on (if thats what you do every time you fail).

Just because you couldnt make it the first time does not devalue the cert or make it 'useless' or otherwise. In fact, IMO, it makes the cert more valuable, because it shows that not everyone can pass this test and its not all easy as people like you seem to think. You need to sweat and use your mind and work hard to pass exams. Certainly you wouldnt want a certification that was so easy for you that you didnt have to crack a book?

If everyone could pass the A+ then why have it?! I suggest instead of whining and complaining about how CompTIA sucks and they are sooo easy and crap...PASS THE TEST because you CERTAINLY wont be passing MS exams...even 70-270 with that attitude i can tell you that right now.

Also, I wouldnt suggest taking the Network+ either, its alot harder than the A+ and i wouldnt want to hear you cry about failing that one either.

now if you want to get your A+ cert, since you will atleast need that knowledge to even THINK of the MS exams or cisco exams...get the mike myers passport book and A+ for dummies and spend an hour a day practicing and studying until you are getting 90%s CONSTANTLY on every practice test (there are some great free ones on here for you to use too)

also, if you think you are gonna be a CCNA, might as well take the net+ exam, it is looked upon very well by companines, and you will need everything in there just for the BASIC BEGINNING knowledge for a ccna.

let alone that A+ + Net+ = elective for MS

lastly, i think you should ask for your money back from your A+ classes because obviously they arent working if you got a 100/86 and FAILED the easiest graded cert exam comptia has.
    Josh
    A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, TICSA, CCNA, MCSA, AS Network Engineering
  • Options
    fualkerfualker Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No scraig4195, now you are the joke. Most of us here are self study and help each other out on this forum. Did you ever stop to think that maybe the school is a joke, since they can't give you practice exams that represent what is on the acctual test. #1 school, must be expensive.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    You have to honestly consider where your head & understanding of computers is at before you make a statement like that. Its entry level & is a big deal for people starting out. What is second nature (PC hardware) for one person, is just the start for another & the thing is everyone starts somewhere.
    You should feel like a bully. lol
  • Options
    paige1paige1 Member Posts: 117
    Let's see, you just joined this forum and this is your first post.

Welcome. We are glad to have you. :D

Feel free to hang out, and look around. There are a bunch of great people here.
    Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings.

Samuel Johnson
  • Options
    ja5983ja5983 Member Posts: 129
    just quit your complaining and learn to suck it up and try again
    Josh
    A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, TICSA, CCNA, MCSA, AS Network Engineering
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    If you can't pass the A+ good luck becoming MCSE and CCNA... You should check your attitude and hit the books again. Many employers use the A+ just to weed out the field.

edit: after reading the whole thread i see many people agree with what I just said. I only read the first post and about lost my mind with this cocky "know it all"
    scraig4195 wrote:
    I'm about 2 months in to a 12-month Network Engineer Diploma program at the #1 career / technical college here in Canada, which includes A+, Net+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE, CCNA Certification tracks. I have 12 years of business experience including the last 5 in IT or IT-related roles. I have done everything except manage a network, completed the A+ courses with a 95% average and felt I had aced both certification exams as well.

Both times I was given a report with missing the pass mark by 7 points. I doubt I will be taking the Net+ CompTIA exam, I'll spend the vouchers I have on Microsoft Exams thank you very much. Now I know why everyone in the IT Consulting business think CompTIA is a joke!! It is.

Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    scraig4195 wrote:
    Now I know why everyone in the IT Consulting business think CompTIA is a joke!! It is.

Actually, a lot of entry level jobs require A+ to get in the door. I don't know what you are thinking, but most IT professionals should be able to troubleshoot PC hardware and basic OS operations. Yet you failed the exam and just put down all the people who have worked hard at obtaining their A+ certification.

I think you need to change your attitude and realize that if you struggled to pass the A+ exam(s), you are by no means ready for the MCSE/CCNA tracks. I believe that most individuals who do not obtain their A+ but do obtain MCSE/CCNA (and others) status first are probably already in the IT field and do not require it to advance in their career.
  • Options
    PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
    I have obtained my A+ Certificate in January and i can tell you i have great pride in myself and everyone else who has it.

My Cert is hanging in my room and i see it every day and it shows me the end result of my months of sacrifice.

Regardless of it being an entry level certificate no one can take away the pride in oneself in achieving it.

sraig4195 you need to sit down and have a long hard think about where you want to go in your certification track
    Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
    Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University
  • Options
    EMSIWUNEMSIWUN Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY ALL DAY...You think like a child...somewhere between pre-school and kindergarten...

Don't ruin it for all the other people out there that enjoy A+ and all it has to offer...think outside the box for a minute and you might understand what I am saying...AND pass the test...

You might not have your A+, but you got your Ph. D...Player Haters Degree...

Over & Out...
  • Options
    3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    I think the guy has left the building.....no replies to back himself up...
  • Options
    scot_doneckerscot_donecker Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just got A+ certified a week ago, and I can tell you I took IT Essentials I at the College, Busted my bum off in that class, did study guides, worked with everything covered on the tests and busted my butt for three months after that just going over material from previous exam requirements and the new requirements for 2003. Before I took the test I crammed for 6 days straight on hardware, took it and passed, then 6 days straight on O.S. Technologies, took it and passed.

I can see why not alot of people have the A+ certification (relating to IT in general, not the people on this site).

p.s. None of the people at any of the computer repair shops in town, and no-one running the school networks would be able to pass the 2 A+ tests. So I hold my head VERY high, just like everyone else with this cert should. If I was a gambling man I would almost guarentee, without any knowledge of other certs, that you wont find a more well rounded harder to earn certification anywhere else relating to hardware and operating systems in one. All I can say is yes, its insanely hard to get, but it is an amazing accomplishment when you do get it...not a joke.
    "If the answer was never to look to yourself, then how can you expect to find it anywhere else" -Eyedea
  • Options
    RobsonGTO wrote:
    I think the guy has left the building.....no replies to back himself up...

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. It is a shame really. Making such statements and then too scared to stand by his words.

EDIT:
    I was thinking of deleting this, but it was suggested (and I agree) that you all have made excellent contributions to this discussion. So, I have reconsidered removing this thread to allow any/all A+ past and future candidates an opportunity to be proud to have this certification. It does go to show that people 'FAIL', and they fail when they take the testing process as a joke. It is not a joke! For those who feel the A+ is useless....don't sit for the exam ;) /Edit

My thanks to all who contributed there point of view.

BTW - Everyone can share their own opinion on things, when you state your opinion, be prepared to back it up if someone calls you on it...don't just run away. ;) You're answer may be as simple as it 'based upon your personal experience"....If that is the case, I hope we can all learn from others when our views are different. :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    dagger1xdagger1x Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took classes in college specifically aimed for the A+ certs. Before I went into test I re-read both books , did alot of practice tests and basically imerssed myself in a 6 week cram session and just barely passed. If you think you came out of your college course work with the knowledge to pass these tests think again.

This is a COMPREHENSIVE FINAL. Not a chapter test or a mid term or a quiz. You have to know all of the material when you sit for this test. Harder than any final I took in any class ive ever taken in in college or University, I have over 225 college credits 3 degrees
  • Options
    duckduckduckduckduckduck Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Actually, I can sympathize with the topic creator. I am taking my A+ exams (both) tomorrow and have the utmost confidence in my abilities to pass. However, the material I have needed to memorize in the past couple weeks to take these exams is nothing short of ridiculous. Especially the Core Hardware exam - it just isn't relevant material to the kind of work you will end up doing in the field.

I have been in the industry for a long time and was one of the handfull of original technicians who got the Geek Squad its start and even back then this information would've been out of date. Seriously, if you think you're going to be spending your days testing mother board components with your multimeter, your ESD strap attached firmly to your wrist while simutaneously diagnosing the defective charge corona of the nearby laser printer .... well, you're in for a shock.

The truth is, this exam would be a total waste of time if the clueless HR departements nationwide hadn't been duped into believing it was worthwhile. I plan for a zero percent retention rate on this one - one good night of drinking should allow me to purge my brain of all of this useless knowledge.

No offense to those of you who have worked hard to obtain this one - it does take an honest interest and work ethic, it nothing else.
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to tell you CompTIA Certs are not a joke. They are valid certs people spend much of their time studying.

Don't mean to be a wise ass, but if they are a joke why have you not passed the A+???
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    I assume you are replying to the thread author, but my post directly above may shed some light on your questions.
  • Options
    ......However, the material I have needed to memorize in the past couple weeks to take these exams is nothing short of ridiculous. Especially the Core Hardware exam - it just isn't relevant material to the kind of work you will end up doing in the field.

Perhaps you do not need the exam for the type of work you will be doing. It is not an exam for everyone.
    I have been in the industry for a long time and was one of the handfull of original technicians who got the Geek Squad its start and even back then this information would've been out of date. Seriously, if you think you're going to be spending your days testing mother board components with your multimeter, your ESD strap attached firmly to your wrist while simutaneously diagnosing the defective charge corona of the nearby laser printer .... well, you're in for a shock.

Again, it may not be an exam for you.

The three 'Geek Squad' people I know are famous for formatting/reinstalling the OS as well as recommending complete system upgrades to people who only need their system to read e-mail....This type of 'techinician' hardly needs an A+ certification.

The truth is, this exam would be a total waste of time if the clueless HR departements nationwide hadn't been duped into believing it was worthwhile. I plan for a zero percent retention rate on this one - one good night of drinking should allow me to purge my brain of all of this useless knowledge.

Yes, another fine example of the QUALITY of people holding A+ certifications. icon_confused.gif

When there is NO reason to take an exam...don't! The market is already flooded with people who merely read a book or two and think that makes them equal to people who have worked with systems for 20-30 years...IT DOESN"T. It just shows you have an understanding of the concepts...nothing more.

No offense to those of you who have worked hard to obtain this one - it does take an honest interest and work ethic, it nothing else.

icon_rolleyes.gif

This comment by itself is the best thing you have written. However, since it follows everything else, it doesn't seem that it is all that sincere.

If you don't want to take the A+ or you feel like it is a waste of time, don't take it. I know a lot of talented people who have never taken the A+. Some are MCSE's others just are excellent IT professionals who never felt like they needed a piece of paper to validate their knowledge...they let their customer base do that ;)

Frankly, the exam should not retire sections. Candidates today should still be required to know DOS and there should be more MAC. People will always drag those things in. Maybe not often, but your likely to run into someone who has some treasure tucked away and now they need some help.

Good Luck on your exam. Doesn't sound like you'll need it ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    essexnickessexnick Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have over 7 years of IT Support experience and it only took me 7 days to pass the A+ Exam. 5 days on hardware and 2 days on OS.
    I spent 3-4 hours a day for 7 days.

Try again!
  • Options
    I honestly think people that can't pass a certain exam should knock it!!! You might think that the test is worthless, but other people don't feel the same way. When you take the test and pass with a perfect score the 1st time around then you can say how worthless the exam was.

I have been in the IT field almost 11 years now and I have seen people that think they know what the hell they are doing and even try to talk like they know what they are doing, but in reality they have no clue what's going on.

I dunno...I just can't get people sometimes. icon_rolleyes.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Perhaps you do not need the exam for the type of work you will be doing. It is not an exam for everyone.

I agree wholeheartedly, however my employer is paying me an exhorbant amount for every tech certification I earn - I thought the "entry level" A+ would be a cake walk, considering my current knowledge level. The fact is, I can't imagine anyone needing to know many of these skills (printer repair? CPU voltages?) in today's tech industry. I was shocked to find such questions appearing at the expense of useful and ommitted information such as cabling standards. As it stands, this test is remeniscent of grade school state capitals for me, lots of memorization which will be forgotten shortly afterwards.
    The three 'Geek Squad' people I know are famous for formatting/reinstalling the OS as well as recommending complete system upgrades to people who only need their system to read e-mail....This type of 'techinician' hardly needs an A+ certification.

Tell me about it. The Geek Squad went to crap shortly before it's acquisition by Best Buy. There was sort of a mass exodus which more or less drove the sale - it's a pity really, it used to be an amazing company.
    Frankly, the exam should not retire sections. Candidates today should still be required to know DOS and there should be more MAC. People will always drag those things in. Maybe not often, but your likely to run into someone who has some treasure tucked away and now they need some help.

I disagree in some respects. My command of DOS has been invaluable in my time as a techie, however knowing backwards CPU standards is ridiculous. In the impossible event that someone wanted to pay me to upgrade their 286 processor, first I would laugh at them and then I would utilize the internet. No need to memorize all of those socket types and CPU bus speeds.
    Good Luck on your exam. Doesn't sound like you'll need it ;)

Thanks! :D
  • Options
    I agree some of the questions are pretty stupid, but what are you going to do??? Can't get around them so your only choice is to study what the exam requires you to know if you want that cert.

If you feel the questions are stupid and a waste of time I'm pretty sure there is some way for you to email the exam writers and tell them how you feel about some of the questions they put in the exams.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think this thread has gotten out of control.

I also whole heartedly disagree that the A+ knowledge is useless. The type of tech who relies on the Internet to bail them out will be the one who doesn't get the job. Not saying that I don't use the Internet, I do for a lot of stuff, but there is a difference in methodology. When I have to write some extrenuous functions in php, php.net is my friend. When I have to swap out a motherboard or do a processor upgrade, fix printers, etc., I can look at the stuff and instantly know what I need without reference.

If I was a customer, I would rather have someone helping me with credentials than not, and not get the type of support that you get when you call so and so tech support and they read off the screen from a knowledge base that's free online anyways.

If the A+ cert is too elementary for you, than why don't you tackle some of the harder ones .. if you think CompTIA is a joke, then take Security+. The whole thing with the original poster is: He said the exam was worthless yet he failed and bagged on the exam as if it's pointless anyways... would you want that person helping you fix your problems?
  • Options
    Your post is somewhat contradictory - so it's okay to use the internet to look up PHP functions but not to reference motherboard socket types?

Anyway, I don't think anyone is disputing the difficulty of the A+ exam, just the pointlessness of much of the information therein. I will definately not argue the genius of CompTIA - a group of obviously non-technicians with the amazing ability to compile manuals and charge steeply to quiz us on the information inside. Why the job market stands behind the test so strongly is a testament to the cluelessness of the general populace when it comes to technology.

Another interesting angle they have cultivated is that no one dares denounce the exam becuase the people who have memorized these countless volumes will (apparently) defend it to the death.

Isn't there anyone out there willing to admit that it's worth it for the employement-prospects (or bonus in my case) but that the info you are required to learn is largely irrelevant? I think a big reason why this does not happen is because most industry long-timers avoid this test. I feel like I'm debating with CompTIA employees here . . .
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I will definately not argue the genius of CompTIA - a group of obviously non-technicians with the amazing ability to compile manuals and charge steeply to quiz us on the information inside. Why the job market stands behind the test so strongly is a testament to the cluelessness of the general populace when it comes to technology.

Another interesting angle they have cultivated is that no one dares denounce the exam becuase the people who have memorized these countless volumes will (apparently) defend it to the death.

Isn't there anyone out there willing to admit that it's worth it for the employement-prospects (or bonus in my case) but that the info you are required to learn is largely irrelevant? I think a big reason why this does not happen is because most industry long-timers avoid this test. I feel like I'm debating with CompTIA employees here . . .

LOL..Good point...People hate this exam because people feel it should be common knowledge & a given for anyone in the computer field. The people who seem to hate the exam are those who have been techies or those who design networks or systems at a high in depth level & had A LOT of experience with A+ work. I started out a bench tech...
    I never took the exam, I know everything about a PC though & I am100% confident I can manipulate a pc anyway I want & fix any issue aroused within one. Anything about sockets & crap like that...I go Google...I have forgotten more that a lot of A+ bench techs even know..But it does take some time to memorize the prep book to pass..