Mac owners: What OS does your Mac run?

ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
What operating system(s) does(do) your Mac(s) use? Select the closest option if you have multiple Macs, but be sure to select an option with Windows if you are using it in any capacity on any Macs.

Edit: Just for clarification. Hackintosh doesn't count. I'm asking about how people use their Apple Mac hardware, not about Mac OSX specifically.

For those not running only OSX, would you still buy a Mac if it could not run your other operating systems, either natively or in a VM?
Working B.S., Computer Science
Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
In progress: CLEP US GOV,
Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
    ptilsen wrote: »
    What operating system(s) does(do) your Mac(s) use? Select all that apply if you have multiple Macs. Edit: apparently you can't right now. Any way to edit the poll?

For those not running only OSX, would you still buy a Mac if it could not run your other operating systems, either natively or in a VM?

I'm looking at building a Hackintosh for the sole reason that I can install any O/S on it. I was thinking of installing OSX as the primary OS and then running other machines in VM. The main reason for this is I don't have much experience at all within OSX.

I don't think I'd ever fork out the cash for a MAC as they seem overpriced; However, If I ever did have the cash to blow I'd love to own a Macbook Air/Pro.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So you prefer Mac OSX as your OS, but not necessarily Mac hardware? Or do you just want the flexibility to run both?
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
    ptilsen wrote: »
    So you prefer Mac OSX as your OS, but not necessarily Mac hardware? Or do you just want the flexibility to run both?

I would like to run MAC OSX to be able to fiddle around and learn the OS. I currently run a 'AMD' machine and therefore am unable to run MAC OSX even in a virtual enviroment.

Building myself a Hackintosh will allow me to run all O/S on the system if I ever needed and also would allow me to run (All) Virtually as well. At the end of the day, all it would mean is a new PC build with an Intel setup.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    If I am correct, it is illegal to run Mac OSX on anything other than Mac hardware (meaning, not virtually on a PC). Which stinks as I would like to not drop $600 just for the bare minimum Mac Mini.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Illegal might not be the right word, as it is not a crime and you cannot face criminal charges for it in the United States. It is a violation of the software license and you can be fined or sued for it, although it has never happened AFAIK. Anyway, we're not going to discuss how to do it or advocate it here for obvious reasons, but it isn't too uncommon a thing to see.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Yeah yeah, you know what I mean. icon_cool.gif
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Work laptop = OS X with VMware Fusion
    Personal laptop = OS X running boot camp and VMware Fusion