Options

Default Route Question??

goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
Finishing up the statics route Chapter in CCNA 2.

MY only question is when do you use the default route?

I'm too tired to make a Simulation with all default routes. Thanks!
The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs

Comments

• Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You use a default route to tell your router where to send traffic that's not otherwise routed by a static or learned route.

Here's some light reading on the subject. Default route - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From what I've read a default route is most commonly used on your router that is connecting to the ISP.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    default route = the route of last resort, aka "if all else fails, send packets here" ;)
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    astorrs wrote: »
    default route = the route of last resort, aka "if all else fails, send packets here" ;)
    The default route is that girl still there when the bar is closing that you wouldn't have chosen if you had better options.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The default route is that girl still there when the bar is closing that you wouldn't have chosen if you had better options.

I think I got it now.. LOL
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    txraider09txraider09 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□

Lol. I love the analogy.