Anyone here install Hadoop before on Red hat?

higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
I have to say HAdoop is impressive! I'm going through training about it now and downloaded a a 30 day evaluation of Ret hat Enterprise Server 6. The concepts of Big-Data is amazing and this alone is brushing up my knowledge up on Linux in general.

Anyone here use it?

Comments

• Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes. I went to Cloudera's 3 day training for the Hadoop Administrator certification. Currently still studying for it (when I have the motivation). I work for an open-source business intelligence software company, so big data is what we're pushing right now. I specialize in our ETL dev tool that connects to big data sources like Hadoop, MongoDB, Cassandra, CouchDB, etc. so lately I've been trying to cram as much as I can on a daily basis. It's a lot to learn, but interesting nonetheless.

My hope is that getting experience in all of this will make me more marketable. There seems to be a push lately for big data and BI.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    I agree Alif,

I'm in a Windows and Linux environment and the Linux portion is pushing Hadoop and big data. It is very interesting and in terms of marketability you cannot beat big-data. I figured if I want to work for google, Facebook, or any other big company as a Server / Systems Engineer I would need to know this stuff. Getting the Linux experience and this is going to amazing. Not to mention these technologies will also make you big in the cloud pushing era.

I might pick your brain from time to time :) I'm reading through Cloudera's training / Admin PDF ( 557 pages long) atm and my mind is just blown with amazement.

Windows + Linux + Virtualization + Big data = huge win imo and put networking in the background of that and I think you will be marketable for a very long time.
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll admit, I'm still at ground level with Hadoop so I may not be much further than you, lol. Either way, I'm glad I'm not the only one venturing out on this. Specializing in BI is probably one of the best things I've done for my IT career. Data is not going away and more companies are only going to accumulate more of it. Expect more job opportunities in this sector.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I did not realize until now, that Hadoop was free. I don't why but I thought it was a commercial tool. I'm downloading it as I'm typing..

Over the past 2 weeks or so, I have started to get into BI/DW and it's very interesting. I'm just trying to read as much as possible right now...there are a lot of quality books.
    Alif, I'm finally getting past HDFS section lol (I still have 475 pages to go ). Its interesting how the nodes / clusters are handled and from what It doesn't seem to be difficult to setup, I've yet to set it up, have you? One thing I have to say is this makes SA positions much more interesting and Linux is more fun than a lot of stuff Windows offers! icon_study.gif

Yuck,

Yea I wasn't aware it was free until 4 days ago when I was told that I should start reading up on it and going through some training. I also picked up an RHCE book too. Currently using VMware fusion on my IMAC and hopefully by this weekend I get to a point where I can start getting into deployments / clustering.

Also Cloudera training is your best bet imo, explains everything very well and its easy to understand. One thing I hate is how they talked about Second Name Nodes (CDH3 and earlier) and say that it's not fault redundant and then a few slides later state that in CDH4 that Secondary Name nodes (HDFS) are fault tolerant (going through this section atm).
    Probably the quickest way to get it installed and start adding nodes

Install Hadoop (CDH4) on 5 nodes with VMWare, CDH4, Cloudera Manager 4 - YouTube

he uses Cent0S but as many here probably know its the same OS basically as Red hat. He uses VMware workstation 8 but the processes is still the same for physical devices or any other virtualization software. Sadly I wont have public internet access to do some of the curls he mentions so thats going to be a pain later for me to get the manager and all that.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for the link, Ill take a look at this later tonight.