Options

IPv4 Subnetting

PD75PD75 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

Would this cover all i need to know for subnetting?

Binary to decimal and back
Different classes of subnets
Max amount of decimal values a given bit can represent
Determining network and broadcast address
VSLM
Number of supported hosts per subnet
Convert subnet mask to slash notation or dotted decimal

Can anyone add anything esle i should look into? The MS Training Kit goes into great detail on this. Should i be gettign too bogged down on this topic?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dont get too bogged down on this, spend your time on other stuff
  • Options
    morrowmsmorrowms Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The easiest way I have been able to think of subnetting/supernetting is that everything is a multiple or a division of a /24 (Class C - 256 IPs). For example you can get two /25 networks in one /24 or you can get two /24 networks in a /23.
  • Options
    icademicadem Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would know to know the same... i don't know how much i need to deep into subnetting.

Is it neccesary to know a lot?

Thank you
  • Options
    Unforg1venUnforg1ven Member Posts: 108
    If you can do what the OP stated, you are MORE than fine. The amount of IP addressing and subnetting on the exams were fairly small.

And when they did come around, it wasn't anywhere near as extensive as you would think. Regardless, you should have Ipv4 subnetting down anyways to work in the field.
    Next on Tap>> WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration
    MCSA:2008 Complete >> Capstone left!

####################################
    "One of God's own prototypes... too weird to live, too rare to die..."
  • Options
    chiefwarrant250nchiefwarrant250n Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree, you should have a good understanding of subnetting to be a good IT tech. If you're doing any Cisco exams then I would say you should be able to do subnetting in your head, it just makes the exams easier if you're not wasting time figuring it out on paper. Just practice until you can do it as easily as regular math.
  • Options
    icademicadem Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree, you should have a good understanding of subnetting to be a good IT tech. If you're doing any Cisco exams then I would say you should be able to do subnetting in your head, it just makes the exams easier if you're not wasting time figuring it out on paper. Just practice until you can do it as easily as regular math.

Thank you for your answer.
    The problem is that i don't know where i must to stop, if i need to know like a expert or not.
    Subnetting is a problem for me because i don't understand it at all, so to be a system administrator in 2008, and will passed the Microsoft Exam, i don't know how much i need to know.

Thank you
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know which test(s) you're taking, but when I took 72-642 (Network Infrastructure), all the IP addressing questions I received were for IPv6 and were mostly determining whether an address was Link-Local, Unique Local, Global, or a Tunnel. I was actually hoping for some IPv4 subnetting...as I can pretty much subnet in my sleep after studying Cisco.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]