Options

Router for CCNA

tshawa03tshawa03 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
This is a question, I need to buy a router for my CCNA , do you think 881 Router will do the job since 851w and 871 w have been expired by Cisco, please i need your help GUYS, just starting CCNA:)

Comments

• Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tshawa03 wrote: »
    This is a question, I need to buy a router for my CCNA , do you think 881 Router will do the job since 851w and 871 w have been expired by Cisco, please i need your help GUYS, just starting CCNA:)

Keep in mind that you will need more than one router for the CCNA if you really want to do some labbing.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    3 Routers. 3 Switches. You'll be able to perform just about everything. Also, get a Access server of sometype. - Switching console cables gets old real quick. In the mean time, I need to invest in a monkey to switch console ports on command. Feed it bananas; throw poo. It'll be fun for everyone!

of course you could just do switches + GNS3 (routers)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    3 Routers. 3 Switches. You'll be able to perform just about everything. Also, get a Access server of sometype. - Switching console cables gets old real quick.

Ah yes, the console cables do get old but I can't seem force myself to buy an Access server. Maybe next year.
  • Options
    Thank you Guys, i Will work on that, But you Did not tell me What Kind of router is the best to buy between 881 or 851w or 871w or what you guys think i should buy?

Thanks
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    I'm not as familiar with the 881, 851w, or 871w, but just look at what technologies they support to see if it's what you need.

Good routers for a budget are 2501's or possibly 3640/3620's. I have a 3620 which I use as my frame relay switch, and one 2501. I also have some 2610XM routers which are more pricy than the older 2501's because they support more memory, thus support new IOS's. But for home labbing you don't necessarily have to go crazy to learn the fundamentals!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    Thanks Guys!!! Good Info
  • Options
    2501s are good, but they won't allow you to do Inter-VLAN labs. Keep that in mind. 2600s are cheap and they have FastEthernet ports.
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Two 881w's would be good. The 861/871 is also suitable. Go with what is most affordable out of those and buy a few so you can do WAN connections.

If youre not set on the 800 series consider the 1800 series. They are also ISR's, have a wireless option, and are very affordable.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU