Options

mistake in Todd Lammle "CCNA study guide"?

m4rtinm4rtin Member Posts: 170
I browsed Todd Lammle "CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate STUDY GUIDE" sixth edition and there was an explanation how two Windows machines in the same broadcast domain communicate. As you can see, on the second page, there is "Before the name is resolved, the first thing Bob has to do is broadcast on the LAN to get Sally's MAC address so he can communicate to her PC and resolve her name to an IP address". Shouldn't this be the other way around? I mean Bob sends out NBNS name query to IP 192.168.0.255(dst MAC is FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF) and does not need Sally MAC address. However, Sally needs Bob MAC address. Sally gets Bob MAC address by sending ARP request to FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF and Bob replies that 192.168.0.2 is at 00:14:22:be:18:3b. This allows Sally to send NBNS name query response(which is a unicast message) directly to Bob. Long story short, Sally(192.168.0.3) should be the one who sends out the ARP request!
In my opinion this should work like this: CloudShark I executed "ping -c1 potato" on 192.168.1.68 host.

Did I misunderstand something? Or is there indeed a mistake in the book?