Options

MCSA/MCSE 10 day Boot Camp via Unitek

expphotoexpphoto Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
So in the lack of being able to find a job, I think it's time to buckle down and get my certs. I've looked into Unitek's 10 day boot camp and wanted to hear some feedback regarding it. Does anyone know how much of it is hands on? It's about $8000 and includes the exams. After taking an online class for A+/Network+ via Netcom, I'm suspicious about the overpriced courses.

What are your opinions?

Comments

• Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My opinion is to self study for the certs and save some $$$. For even 4k you could buy yourself the best books, some CBT's on the subject and build yourself a really nice computer for labbing. Heck if your willing to spend 8k then cut 2k off and spend 6k and get 2 really sweet computers and some more CBT's. In the end your still saving money.

Those courses are way to face paced to learn everything to pass the exams within 10 days. If they say you will pass with no other training in 10 days then they are giving you brain **** and it's a pile of crap.

Save the money and self study/lab. Its alot more fun that way and you will learn way more than at a 10 bootcamp.

Also MS is running deals on buying the cert packs upfront and saving money plus you get the second shot as well: Microsoft | Prometric
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm generally opposed to paid training for certs at this level. Some certifications need it, but at higher levels. I could maybe see if for certain MCSE tests, but not for $8,000. That's just way too much.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was once in the "grab as many certs as possible" mindset but let me tell you from experience, you need experience before you start getting mid-high level certifications (entry level ones are fine). Yes, some company might take a risk on you because of them, but you will find very early on..that companies ask for experience for a reason. There are just some situations you will only know the cause of a problem or how to solve something, because of your past experience.

Save your money and pass on the bootcamp. You need to take your time reading and understanding the material. Taking ten days to cram for an exam and then forgetting most of it a few days later, is not worth it. Yes, you may have the certifications but they will find out the truth during your technical interview.

That's just my opinion.
  • Options
    buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    expphoto wrote: »
    So in the lack of being able to find a job, I think it's time to buckle down and get my certs. I've looked into Unitek's 10 day boot camp and wanted to hear some feedback regarding it. Does anyone know how much of it is hands on? It's about $8000 and includes the exams. After taking an online class for A+/Network+ via Netcom, I'm suspicious about the overpriced courses.

What are your opinions?

Do you think you are not able to find a job because you are lacking the MCSA?

I suspect that isn't the reason, and I'd hate for someone to spend $8,000 to then find that they were not in a better position.

The jobs that say Certifications are desirable do so because they know that the applicants who possess them have the real world experience to back those certs up. If you don't, and are just a "paper cert" then you will have wasted your money.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback all. Maybe one or two of you can check my resume and give me your 2 cents? I've got over 4 years of IT Experience, System Admin/Support. Plus my BAS.
  • Options
    asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    Honestly Self Study the MCSE 2012, and then add in VCP 5(Cadwell Community College/University of Silicon Valley ) which is online and maybe a (self study) CCA in XenAPP 6

That wil get you interviews 100%

Total Cost Should be - estimating exam cost

$125 x 5 - $625 for Microsoft Exams
    $1100 - VCP course
    $100 - VMWARE exam with discount through the course
    $150 - Citrx Exam

Trainsgnal Videos for Citrix and Vmware cost
    Microsoft Training Material - Trainsignal and look aroundg Microsoft blogs
  • Options
    asurania wrote: »
    Honestly Self Study the MCSE 2012, and then add in VCP 5(Cadwell Community College/University of Silicon Valley ) which is online and maybe a (self study) CCA in XenAPP 6

That wil get you interviews 100%

Total Cost Should be - estimating exam cost

$125 x 5 - $625 for Microsoft Exams
    $1100 - VCP course
    $100 - VMWARE exam with discount through the course
    $150 - Citrx Exam

Trainsgnal Videos for Citrix and Vmware cost
    Microsoft Training Material - Trainsignal and look aroundg Microsoft blogs

I ended up deciding to go for the MCITP:SA. Bought a Technet Subscription and the lessons for 70-646 and 70-640. As well as the bundle for the Selftest software. Only downside in this case is I really can't lab on my own since I have nothing to connect to my Server.

On the other side, is it too much to ask to have someone check my resume for another opinion as to not finding anything?
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    expphoto wrote: »
    Only downside in this case is I really can't lab on my own since I have nothing to connect to my Server.

Need more details what do you mean you have nothing to connect to your server?
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    $8,000! Are you kidding me? No, just no. Half that price would be a scam. MCSA is not a respected brand. MCSE would be a minimum.

Certs are great, but it’s the journey. Not the paper. It’s the things you learn at 2am working why your lab isn’t working. Not some pre-made lab. It’s the hours you spend hacking through a problem and the natural “feel” for problems you learn. Something you can’t earn in 10x 12 hours sessions.

I see you want to go the Microsoft route, nothing wrong with that. But remember just being great at Windows won’t help you much. You’ll need some knowledge in at least one other major Windows app (Sharepoint, Exchange, SQL server, Forefront, SCCM/OM, Lync, Desktop Optimization Pack, Identity Management, Project Server) . So when you are done with your MCSA/MCSE you STILL have a whole other specialization to learn.

Software –
    Just get a Microsoft Technet subscription. Cost you $200-$300. I see coupon codes all over the internet. So you should be fine.

Training Material –
    The library here has all the Windows 2012 MCSA/MCSE books. Not sure about your local library. If they don’t you can snag a used Nook Color and get the eBooks you’ll need for less than $300. Don’t go iCrazy here, just meet your needs.
    If you are a visual learner like myself, you might want videos to follow along. Vtc.com is only $30 a month. CBTnuggets has very reasonable monthly rates also.

Hardware –
    I personally used a pair of HPs with AMD x3 procs in there, and maxed the RAM out. I picked up for $200 a pop off newegg.com. I’ve also used amazon to host my VMs as well. Great for if you are on the go. But sounds like you have lots of time.

Time -
    Classes are great, but you move at someone else’s pace. Waiting a couple semesters doesn’t make much sense. There are exceptions. But iof you set your lab up for RDP, head on to the library and study away. Make friends with the staff, you would be surprised how a friendly “hi” and “how’s it coming along?” helps motivate you.

If you want, set a meet up. Meet a person or two at the library to study with. But don’t depend on them for anything. Stay self-motivated.
    -Daniel