70-640 - Fail

Technica1Technica1 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
As title, just failed the exam. Spent weeks and weeks studying the Microsoft-published book, as well as running through the limited selection of practice tests on the CD-Rom. Used some TestOut, too.

And as I've had on other test, questions on obscure situations not in the book, areas of questioning not stressed in the Msoft materials, etc. I'm comforted that among my IT Colleagues having to retake a test is common, but I'm more and more thinking this is just a $$$ racket for Microsoft's extra income.

Anyone have some sort of revelation for me on an excellent test source or book I should be using instead, or another way of studying?

Are Cisco or CompTia test curriculums more fair and sane, or is it more of the same?

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Did you do any labbing?
  • GDL-LCGDL-LC Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear, the 70-640 is a big exam by all accounts (studying for it at the moment) but it's a core exam from what I know, most things build on it. A good foundation is needed to progress.
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Sorry to hear about your temporary set back but with the Microsoft tests I have taken so far, I can tell you that labbing is key and a lot of repetitive simulations worked well for me in the past. Build up your server/OS from scratch set it all up, break it, fix it. Wipe or reset the snapshot and go again...

Been studying for this for a month now and taking next month I'm not looking forward to it.
  • Technica1Technica1 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Did you do any labbing?

Yes, I have purchased a TechNet license which I run some Virtual Servers with. I also use the simulated labs in TestOut
  • netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Study every domain for the test in technet and do these labs as well Windows Server 2008 R2
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that, Technica1. On the positive side, you now know exactly what aspects of the syllabus to brush up on.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • ddllarddllar Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to here about your exam. I have heard that this first one is tough. I'm looking at taking mine in about a month. Good luck on round 2.
  • _calvin__calvin_ Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took this exam too and I'm now realizing the book is just not enough. As you said, and I agree, things the book brushed over, the test went into much detail, I know because I failed it horribly last month. I'm seeing from people here that passed, they use the resources from technet which has a sticky here. With the labbing, pressbook, technet, and testout that you already have you should be fine. I'm taking the test again this month and I will be better prepared this time.
  • LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear about the fail. What book did you use? Was it the R2 version? I looked through a lot of books, but the Microsoft Self-Paced Training Kit for 2008 R2 was the best one I found. But the book alone is not enough. I used that book, the Microsoft Server 2008 R2 Unleashed book, CBT Nuggets, Transcender and Measure Up (which came with the book) for practice tests, and Technet heavily. I also have a VMware esxi 4 server that I used for labs.

I don't think the test is a money racket. I believe that with the incredible amount of information you have to know to pass the exam, that it is just a very difficult exam. Neither the Measure Up or Transcender practice tests were written like the exam questions, however they did let me know when I knew the information well enough to attempt the exam. The scenario-based exam is more difficult than the previous Microsoft exams, but I think it adds more value to the certification.

Good luck on your next shot!
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• toxic84toxic84 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just took this test this past Friday, and was studying a lot of study guides, and Trancscender (these were difficult), but as previously stated, were set up nothing like the actual 640 exam. These practice exams did help me understand many of the concepts and was confident in a good amount of my answers, but obviously not quite there.I failed with a 560, and of no surprise got blasted by additional server roles, of which I'm assuming it was referrering to AD CS, RMS and FS, I could of made it up to the 600s I believe but after reviewing my answers, changed some I shouldn't of.This is my first ever Microsoft test, so I was going in with high hopes, but wasn't particularly deflated that I didn't pass -- very difficult test.I've only studied a crazy amount of test questions, but did no labs, which I see a lot of people are saying are a must. Any idea where I can procure these labs, also the Microsoft Self-Paced Training Kit for 2008 R2 book, or where I can purchase it?Thanks for the help!
  • _calvin__calvin_ Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    like Lunchbocks said, lab either using VMWare or I'm using Hyper-V. Also use the technet sticky here and Lunchbocks also has a post where he puts up some very good notes.
    toxic84 wrote: »
    Any idea where I can procure these labs, also the Microsoft Self-Paced Training Kit for 2008 R2 book, or where I can purchase it?Thanks for the help!

The Microsoft Self-Paced Training Kit for Server 2008 R2 can be purchased from Amazon and Barnes and Noble. The book contains labs to perform in each section. I did all of the labs many times, and then would alter or add to the lab requirements to make it a little different or difficult. When I got to where I could do the tasks without looking at the labs, I knew I was ready on those tasks.

Before I took the exam, I completely set up a domain with 3 domain controllers and two Server Core DCs. I went through the complete process and only needed refreshing on AD-FS. That was when I knew I was as ready as I was going to be.

Good Luck!

• Technica1Technica1 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was using the original release version, not the R2. I have used CBT Nuggets on the old MCSE tests, but felt that it was a very high level view that didn't necessarily help with the test at all. As I mentioned, I understand the concepts and ideas presented in the book fine. It's when you have multiple questions in a row on command syntax or switches, or similar, that were rushed over in the books is where I have trouble.
    Lunchbocks wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the fail. What book did you use? Was it the R2 version? I looked through a lot of books, but the Microsoft Self-Paced Training Kit for 2008 R2 was the best one I found. But the book alone is not enough. I used that book, the Microsoft Server 2008 R2 Unleashed book, CBT Nuggets, Transcender and Measure Up (which came with the book) for practice tests, and Technet heavily. I also have a VMware esxi 4 server that I used for labs.

I don't think the test is a money racket. I believe that with the incredible amount of information you have to know to pass the exam, that it is just a very difficult exam. Neither the Measure Up or Transcender practice tests were written like the exam questions, however they did let me know when I knew the information well enough to attempt the exam. The scenario-based exam is more difficult than the previous Microsoft exams, but I think it adds more value to the certification.

Good luck on your next shot!
    Technica1 wrote: »
    I was using the original release version, not the R2. I have used CBT Nuggets on the old MCSE tests, but felt that it was a very high level view that didn't necessarily help with the test at all. As I mentioned, I understand the concepts and ideas presented in the book fine. It's when you have multiple questions in a row on command syntax or switches, or similar, that were rushed over in the books is where I have trouble.

The original version of the book does not contain information that is on the exams. You need to use the R2 version of the book.

I agree that on previous certification exams CBT Nuggets wasn't as important, but for this series I believe it is. Labs were not that important before either, but the MCITP exams are scenario based which labs and tutorials like CBT Nuggets help with.

• toxic84toxic84 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Lunchbocks wrote: »
    The original version of the book does not contain information that is on the exams. You need to use the R2 version of the book.I agree that on previous certification exams CBT Nuggets wasn't as important, but for this series I believe it is. Labs were not that important before either, but the MCITP exams are scenario based which labs and tutorials like CBT Nuggets help with.
    I just got my hands on the CBT Nuggets videos, and I can attest -- they are great so far, just started Account Automation. Most of my knowledge I've gained thus far has been STRICTLY through the original Server 2008 Microsoft Study guides as well as Transcender, have yet to see anything visually, and they have already helped me tremendously.This further impacts the earlier statements how much a lab setting can help. I got a 560 on my first go around, just using a plethora of test questions with no comprhension on it's actually applied and the videos walk you step by step through it, as well as reaffirm a lot of commands I saw on the test, and knew the gist of, but not really what they were used for or the extent of what they can do. Highly recommended.Also sorry, for the tight look of my posts, system is not using spaces or indetations for me, eventhough I include them in my posts.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "Are Cisco or CompTia test curriculums more fair and sane, or is it more of the same?"

Microsoft are the only tests I've ever failed. I passed my CompTIA A+, Novell CNA (NetWare 5), and CIW (Web Foundations Associate) all on the first try and in most cases with flying colors. I failed Windows 2000 Pro. the first time I took it (2001), but passed the 2nd time. I failed 72-642 the first time I took it (2011). I will retry 72-642 (Network Infrastructure) now that I've passed 72-640 (Active Directory).

I had noticed alot of problems with the MeasureUp questions including having no correct answers, which I've also had happen once each on the actual 72-642 and 72-640 exams. Both questions were on DNS. Another problem is multiple correct answers. I seem to remember this being a problem on the actual 72-642 (it would offer both a CLI and GUI solution, but didn't say it was Server Core, which would mean both were correct) and a huge problem on the MeasureUp Practice Tests. I didn't see any questions on 72-640 where there appeared to be multiple correct answers. MeasureUp was making assumptions that were not specified anywhere in the question.

For example, one question on the MeasureUp practice test states that you need to make a Domain Controller a GC and asks which tool to use. The correct answer should be Active Directory Users and Computers (Expand your domain, Expand Domain Controllers container, Right-Click Domain Controller in Right Panel, Select Properties, Click NTDS Settings, Check the box that says Global Catalog). MeasureUp says the correct answer is Active Directory Installation Wizard (dcpromo) as you simply select Global Catalog during the promotion to a DC. While this is true, nowhere in the question did it say that these were not existing DCs. Thankfully, I did not run across any questions like this on the actual test.

Read the wording VERY CAREFULLY. It is very easy to miss something that completely changes the answer. After reading other people's experiences I built a new VM and ran through all the switches for commands such as dnscmd. This might well have been the difference between passing and failing today as I remember receiving at least 2 questions on dnscmd switches.

One thing that took me by complete surprise was that I actually received one question [and thankfully only one] that asked me to correct a PowerShell script that generated an error (http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/ed20b349-9758-4c70-adc0-19c5acfcae45). It appears that I made a correct educated (based on the names of other cmdlets that I have used) guess.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]