Options

New Mastercard has LCD screen and keyboard

AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
Source: BBC News - New Mastercard has LCD screen and keyboard

A credit card with an LCD display and built-in keyboard has been launched in Singapore by Mastercard. The card has touch-sensitive buttons and the ability to create a "one-time password" - doing away with the need for a separate device sometimes needed to log in to online banking.
Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    ...until its hacked
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm happy to use an app for that purpose. I use the Battle.net authenticator for iOS for my blizzard games. I'd be content to use something similar for banking. I would not be content to carry around an extra device.

This is a decent alternative, but it seems excessive. Anyone who realistically does online banking with a bank requiring one-time passwords probably has a smartphone. Many banks already support SMS, so even a smartphone or a certain platform isn't really a necessity -- just a cell phone.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My debit card is bending a little from me siting on it in my wallet, I really don't want more electronic stuff on it.
  • Options
    AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The next step is to embed the debit card inside your body, like in the movie In Time (2011) - IMDb
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I liked the idea of that movie. Time as Money. Harder to take, just means they'll take your limb to get the money.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "Future versions of the card could display added information such as the remaining balance."

Just what I want advertised while I'm at checkout...