Options

Exchange 2013 fail

it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
I am writing this because I am about to deploy Exchange in a green pastures environment at a new client. Normally, this is the perfect time to run wild with the latest version of everything (indeed, we are using Server 2012 with Hyper-V) but I can't seem to do that with Exchange.

Here is the dilemma. I would normally deploy and Edge Transport Server at the edge to do all the anti-spam stuff, namely connection filtering using an RBL like Spamhaus. I was quite happy to learn that AV is included in Exchange 2013, but inexplicably, connection filtering is not. To add insult to injury, we can't coexist EX 2010 with 2013 until SP3 for 2010 is released...in the first quarter of 2013.

The only real solution (other than doing 3rd party anti-spam) is to deploy Exchange 2010 with an edge transport server. Wait until SP3 is released, upgrade to SP3, install EX 2013 in the spring, migrate all the mailboxes and keep the 2010 edge transport server.

How to configure an IP Block List Provider like zen.spamhaus.org in Exchange 2013 RTM?

As I type this out, I realize it is probably best just to use MX Logic. I don't want to ask them to buy another appliance and I also don't want to do double work.

If I can sell them on MX Logic (shouldn't be a problem) - would you deploy EX 2010 or 2013?

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If MXLogic + 2013 comes with no extra downside that will actually affect the customer other than the cost of MXLogic, my vote is 2013 + MXLogic. Unless there is a likely need for them to coexist 2010 and 2013 in the next few months, it seems like the best bet to me.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I am labbing Exchange 2013 right now. It is about as different from 2010 as 2007 was from 2003. I asked my reseller to quote FOPE for me. I looked at MX Logic but their pricing scheme is a little weird. If you have more than X amount of mailboxes you can either get simple perimeter defense only (essentially an RBL lookup) or you can get their whole scheme - web and email defense.

My buddy is lead on this client, I will have to ask him how he wants to proceed. I wouldn't feel bad about deploying EX 2010; it is a solid product. It is just that you don't get to do a green pastures installation very often and I want to do the right thing.