Options

CCNA in 3-4 Months for a newby?

SlayerXSlayerX Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
So quick question. I'm am completely new to Cisco but I am going to purchase "Todd Lammles" book because I am pressed for time and I finally had my "ah ha" moment after reading how he explained subnetting. I am watching CBT nuggets already, and going to use GNS3 with 2 2950 Switches for my lab. Also I am going to purchase the Boson ExSim-Max for the 640-802. Should this be enough to pass the CCNA in 3-4 months putting in 8-10 hours of study each week?

Comments

• Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    12 weeks x 10hours= 120hours. It is cutting close. I put that much time just in ICND1. And finally taking it after 3months of study.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    rchaserchase Member Posts: 126
    I did CCNA 642-802 in 50 days while working 40+hours /week. I read Todd Lammle's book cover to cover appx 4times, and labbed all scenarios with equipment bought on ebay.

Total Lab Cost: $350
    3x 2600 routers (with one that I could use as a Frame Relay switch)
    2x 2950 switches

+
    Book: >$50

Studytime: 4+ hours every weekday night. 8-12+ hours on Sat/Sundays.

For every exam I begin studying for, on day one I map out how long its going to take to learn all the material and be ready for the exam.

I calculate how long it will take to read the book by reading a few pages, then averaging out how long it takes to read 1 page (typically about 5minutes per page for me to read it slowly and reread paragraphs occasionally) Then multiply by the number of pages in the book and divide by 60, then you have your estimated number of hours to read the book. Divide the total reading hours over the number of days you plan to study to get how many hours per day you need to read. Add in some lab time and you've got a plan.

Then on that same day, before I even begin studying, I schedule the exam. Then I don't let myself fall behind my studying schedule because I pretend I cannot reschedule the exam.

Whatever works haha.
  • Options
    Wow rchase, that's a lot of time studying! But you did it in 50days. I am thinking 4 months, so if I study like you I bet I could do it. This makes me feel much better about getting it done in 4 months. I will do the math like you said and see how much time I will need.
  • Options
    SlayerX wrote: »
    Wow rchase, that's a lot of time studying! But you did it in 50days. I am thinking 4 months, so if I study like you I bet I could do it. This makes me feel much better about getting it done in 4 months. I will do the math like you said and see how much time I will need.

try to do this. First watch the CBT videos first. It should take you about 2-4 weeks. Every week finish 4 chapter in the book. so in 2 months you will be done with the book. And last month, do practice test, and go over your weak areas.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
  • Options
    TurK-FX your a genius! Good advice guys I think this is very doable.
  • Options
    Also you can take notes, but since your are trying to do this faster, use highlighter. I read my books on my tablet, and i highlight the important stuff. SO when i do a little down time on train bus or work, i go over them. I also took notes when i was watching Trainsignal.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did ICND1 in 5 weeks and ICND2 in 6 weeks (or vice-versa), but I wasn't working at the time.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yes it is if you have computer bkgd but you should also look at it like 3-4 months will get you totally immersed in the material to the juncture where you can be prepared, really prepared or a modicum of prep. It all depends on your intensity and continuity but eventually you will get there ..
  • Options
    magpulmagpul Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck to you. I'm currently unemployed and just starting with some studying for CCNA and A+. Putting in about 8-10 hours a day, hope to get them within the next 3 months.
  • Options
    I wish I wasn't working and going to College then I would have more free time to study but that's life. Yeah I wish I could get it on a tablet but I don't have one so I will just bring the book with me and a highlighter. Lots of good advice guys! Very appreciated. Good luck to you also magpul. A+ should be a breeze for you to get, I got mine after studying for 2 weeks strait.
  • Options
    mohamedshajidmohamedshajid Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you have to study the main factors on CCNA Composite exam Todd Lammle's 7 Edition is the best because there is include CCENT modules too! So I'm not using CBT Nuggets everything Todd Lammle because if you study all the materials probably you would know the answer to the question but you should not click the correct answer because you're mixture grinder everything mix on your mind, In according Turk-FX Word try to follow the materials by watching videos, Videos are outstanding way to get memorize the important notes, So Subnetting is very easy if you love math, but i hate it.

Watching Videos - OSI Model , and Configurations :D
    Write notes - Short Notes --> CCENT/CCNA Notes :D
    [2013] CCNA Cert Exam @IBM Premier Campus in Sri Lanka
    + Reading Todd Lammle CCNA 7th Edition, CCENT Cert Dummies
    I'm totally afraid of heard strange word of cisco
    + Next Career - Red Hat Linux Networking And CCNA: Security (2013 Before June)
  • Options
    2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's doable, but you have to give yourself enough time to absorb the material.

Having your own lab is like gold!
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)