Options

Free LIVE Subnetting deep-dive (online)!

Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
So in a nutshell, I've recently done a couple of remote training sessions for a customer, and have decided to branch out to offering remote training to my fellow TE members.

That being said, the pilot training will be a subnetting deep-dive. The cost? FREE! All I ask- is that those who attend..if you like it, please tell a friend (or friends). That's it. The reason it is free is that I have utilized a different platform for work, and cannot absolutely guarantee no technical issues (being a "pilot" and all) with WebEx. Ultimately, you get free training, and I get to see my possible new platform in action (from the perspective of the trainer). Additionally, I may ask for input from those who participate prior to the course which may influence the content, so that's awesome.

Don't get me wrong, because it's free does not mean bad or poor quality- the goal is to provide a great subnetting run-through along with plenty of live examples. I want people to walk away from this deep dive having that "ah ha" moment.

The exact date is subject to change (but not by much), but right now it's looking like December 13, 2012 at 7pm EST.

If you'd like to take part in this training..shoot me a PM on here with your e-mail address/name. I plan on putting the word out elsewhere also, so I cannot promise how quickly this will fill up.

Comments

• Options
    So far, so good- got a few registrations already! Will remain open until about a week before. I look forward to it!
  • Options
    lunchbox67lunchbox67 Member Posts: 132 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    Got it! Replied to most PM's (got a couple left)- will shoot out registration details to all those who PM'd me in two weeks or less.
  • Options
    NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    PM'd as well!
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • Options
    Replies all sent!
  • Options
    I was originally capping the class at a fairly small size, but due to interest I've gone with the larger webex plan. We're now at about 18 people who are planning on attending the training!
  • Options
    Invites sent out. Still have some seats open if anyone is interested. For anyone who already registered, be sure to check your spam box for the WebEx invite.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
  • Options
    Yup! About 7 seats left.
  • Options
    NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    Got mine! On my Calendar! :)
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • Options
    BIGDubBIGDub Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Call me a bonehead but I can't seem to find the PM link on the page anywhere. I'm guessing I haven't passed some kind of posting threshold on this board. I guess you gotta keep the spammers out somehow.
  • Options
    No worries- just shoot me a message to training at sgtccie.com (obviously with the "@" instead) and I'll add you to the group!
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    havent seen mine come through yet.
  • Options
    Bokeh wrote: »
    havent seen mine come through yet.

I have you on the list- can you verify it didn't make it to your spam box? I'll try to remove you and re-add as well. Doing that now, so let me know if it comes through.
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Just sent you a PM.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    MegaMacMegaMac Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sent you an e-mail to the address shown a couple posts above. Thanks for taking the time to help us, hope there's room left!
  • Options
    You're good to go! Responded to all PM's and sent invites out.

Bokeh- have you seen your invite come through yet?
  • Options
    Couple of weeks till the webex! The upper limit is 25 seats, and we currently have 20 filled. Still got a few left!
  • Options
    Got ONE seat left! This is going to happen next Thursday for anyone else still interested.
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    mrock4 wrote: »
    got one seat left! This is going to happen next thursday for anyone else still interested.

wait one more please!!! Mememe
  • Options
    Gotcha. We had one person back out (a friend of mine's wife), so we had an extra slot. We're now FULL! Looking forward to it folks!
  • Options
    Ok, now we're officially totally full..unfortunately I can't add anyone else to this class. We may be doing another one in the future..I'll know more next week.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I'm not sure how I missed this... boooooooooooooooooooo
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    No worries- there was an overwhelming demand for this class, so I might do another if this goes well!

Edit: Also, I'll try to record the session and post it up afterwards. No promises though- haven't recorded with webex before so hopefully it works as promised!
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    oh cool thanks, a recording would be awesome
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Had to cancel this due to a last minute obligation I have with a customer, so I have already notified all those scheduled to attend- but for the rest of the world- I have promised to provide a video covering the same topics I had planned on covering during the live event..and I will post it up no later than Sunday this week.

I should be able to knock it out sooner. I much rather do a live class, but the next few days are going to be crazy, so a recording gives me more flexibility.

So..I hope to have this released ASAP for anyone who wants it.
  • Options
    The video has been posted at the following link: http://www.qinqtraining.com/videos/Subnetting_Deep_Dive.mp4

It's about 108Mb, and an hour long. I was ridiculously tired near the end- it's been about a 22 hour day now, but hopefully some folks will get some use out of it. In a day or two I'll split it up into two parts and post it on YouTube (it's too big as-is)..I wanted to post it to YouTube exclusively, but it's late, and it was quicker to post it via FTP to my own server.
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Thank you so much for the video. Great quality and your voice is good for recording and the mic turned out great, I think it was even picking up a car outside. I thought it was easy to understand.

I sort of know how to subnet but cannot do it in my head. I tried to learn it about a year ago but never followed through with practice. I really like the method used to determine the subnet which a host belongs to. That is the one where the interesting octet is divided by the increment and rounded down and then multiplied by the increment. Is there another/quicker way to do this for the test? You did mention a few other methods that are used. The one I have read about it is to take the either /8 /16/ /24 /32 and subtract it with the subnet mask depending on where it fits and then with the powers of 2 determine the increment and figure it out that way. I think...
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    Thanks! Yep- the recording was done from my hotel room, which happens to be right above the entrance to the hotel- so there's some traffic that gets picked up.

Honestly, with regards to quickly determining what subnet a host is on for the exam, I would use either the AND method for shorter masks (/23 or lower), or the "counting up" method...depending on the placement. Here's my reasoning with an example for clarification:

Q: What is the subnet address for the address 172.15.23.11/21?

A: As in the video, I convert /21 from CIDR to a standard subnet mask- I end up with 255.255.248.0.

With the AND method, I only need to focus on my interesting octet, so I'll ONLY do the binary for that octet.

0001 0111 = 23 (our third octet of the IP in question)
    1111 1000 = 248 (our interesting octet of our subnet mask)
    0001 0000 = 16 (Result of our AND..remember, if both are a "1" then we bring a "1" down..in ANY other scenario, it's a zero)

Answer: 172.15.23.11 resides on the 172.15.16.0/21 subnet.

For shorter ones..such as a /28 (255.255.255.240, with a 16 increment), it depends..let's say I give you the IP 10.25.1.26...well if you know your increment is 16, you can quickly jot down your subnets, such as:

10.25.1.0/28
    10.25.1.16/28
    10.25.1.32/28
    10.25.1.48/28

By looking at this, we'd quickly see that our IP address of 10.25.1.26 would fall on the 10.25.1.16/28 subnet. This is what I call the "counting up" method- it's longer for certain situations (ie: /30...if your IP address is 10.25.1.152...counting up by 4's will take too long for the exam), so it takes some fine tuning to figure out which method you'll use.

In a nutshell, BIGGER increment (16, 32, 64, 12icon_cool.gif..just count up. It's quick. SMALLER increment (4, icon_cool.gif use either the division method, or AND.

At the end of the day, I like the method I brought up about dividing, since it works the same for every IP, but the AND method is pretty simple to use too. Hopefully that makes sense.

Edit: Also- with regards to not doing it in your head..that's OK. As long as you can figure it out on paper, I promise you'll eventually start knocking out all of this without jotting a note down. Subnetting is tough because it takes sheer time/practice to really master..but the good thing is, once you've mastered it, it's hard to lose.