Options

Having trouble understanding how to subnet and find the below

KazulinKazulin Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

I feel like a retard because I've gotten what I learned in technical training school and am now in a cisco networking class and cant even grasp the basics of these subnetting exercises. I am not looking for the easy answer but rather step by step help in how to calculate and find the below. I apprecaite any help. Thanks a lot.

P.S. I referenced "Easy Subnetting" on the forums here as mentioned in other subnet help threads but still don't understand because I'm only given the IP address and not 200.45.1.0/** (insert number)

1. You are given the network address 200.45.1.0 by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). You need to assign IP addresses to the hosts on your LAN using the network address from your ISP. Answer the following questions:

1. What is the network ID?

2. What is the network address?

3. What is the broadcast address?

1. What is the first IP address that you can assign to a host?

1. What is the last IP address that you can assign to a host?

If i was given a class A address, how would these steps differ in determining the above answers for that ? For example, 10.0.0.0 ?

Comments

• Options
    KazulinKazulin Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gotten = forgotten*
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I was given that question, I would assume they're using the classful subnet mask. So in your example, assume 200.45.1.0/24 and work from there. Hope this helps put you on the right track.
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kazulin wrote: »
    Hello,

I feel like a retard because I've gotten what I learned in technical training school and am now in a cisco networking class and cant even grasp the basics of these subnetting exercises.

First things first. Calm down buddy. You're not retarded or the like, you just need to calm down think of the basics, and tackle the question in an organized approach.

I think you should review subnetting in general, but first, Addresses and there classes, full class, cidr all that, just take a while to review it. Do you have any study material?
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kazulin wrote: »

P.S. I referenced "Easy Subnetting" on the forums here as mentioned in other subnet help threads but still don't understand because I'm only given the IP address and not 200.45.1.0/** (insert number)

We should only point you in the right direction. Do you remember default masks?...review them...after that...Read the question, and ask yourself; do I need to subnet? ( the question would ask you for certain parameters if that were true: I want 6 subnets and 12 hosts per subnet. For example. ).

If not, well all you need is to determine the range of assignable addresses.