Options

CCNET is my first target.

Goodmans1208Goodmans1208 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Its time to get myself some qualifications and networking is the job I want to be in so im looking for a little advice on whats best to do and hows the best to go about it?

I have recently purchased some CCENT/CCNA books, I have CBT Nugget videos from Jeremy Cioara but I have notcied the videos are from 2007 are these still OK to use or is there new materails out there that I could get my hands on? I have "Cisco Packet Tracer" on my laptop which iv heard is great to help me along the way in my CCENT revision, also i am awaiting the delivery for Paul Brownings "CCNA in 60 Days" book to turn up which I have read some great reviews on.

I have a few cisco switches to work with which I presume will come in handy a little into the revision?

I hear if you can get your head around the ISO Model then I should be going in the right direction to getting the CCENT qualification. Is the OSI Model the most important chapter?

So all im looking for is a little advice on,

Where to start?
Whats the first topics to get my head around?
Best way to revise?
What else should I purchase?
Websites that will help?
CBT Nuggets 2007 videos too old?

Any advice will be very grateful to help me on my way of getting somewhere in the networking world.

Thank you very much.

:)

Comments

• Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    If you've got multiple books, cbt nuggets (2007 should be fine), some hardware, and packet tracer you should be ready to dive in. I'm studying for the CCNA right now and it's not really difficult material, there's just a lot of it. I have similar materials and I generally watch a CBT nugget video, then read a chapter that covers the corresponding material to fully grasp the concepts.

Bottom line is I'd jump right into it, and if you get stuck or have any questions come back at that time and we'll provide you with the websites, what else to purchase etc.

Also check out this thread, has some useful info about getting started:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/81293-how-study-ccent-ccna-tutorial.html
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    Ok thats greats new, i will dive in as you say.

Is there a certain place to start or just follow the CBT Nuggets videos in the order they are set out?

Thanks for the link to the CCNA Tutorial page thats helped me out for what i should and shouldnt be doing.

Thanks Krjay.
  • Options
    jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    both the books and videos kinda start out the same. The foundations that you need to know about networking and once you get past the foundations you get to lab some and use the foundations that you learned. Starting out with the book probably the best choice and then use the videos to help explain what you just read. I've found out that it will all seem super confusing at first but the more you live it, use it, and study it the more and more clear it all comes together.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is the way I've done it... It varies everytime, but generally this is what I found successful:
    1. Buy tabs, or use colored sticky notes. Tab the sections of the book in what they are - IPv6, Routing, Switching...
    2. Watching CBT nuggets on those sections. Make a little outline in the basic concepts. Don't worry about the configuration as much as "Why" and "How".
    3. Read the chapters one at a time, paragraph even. Take indepth notes.
    4. While reading, if you can Lab... Lab with the chapter.

The whole goal of going through the book first is it's going to be a lot of time. It's getting to know the material. Once you have a good High-Level understanding of the chapter, go on to the next.

Don't worry about memorizing everything in the chapter: Just understand the size of the forest, know the species of trees are in the forest and why it's the forest is there. Not howmany acorns are in each tree, and how many leaves are in those trees. You won't remember all of the finer details, while trying to learn fresh stuff 4 chapters from now.

I've done the Memorizing for the leaves, and Acorns. I can tell you from experience: Good Luck.

Videos are great for seeing the forest, and understanding the forest as a whole. Reading is a must to understand the species of trees, the reason why it's the size, number of acorns, and leaves. Videos, too, can help clear up a lot of fog. Don't be afraid of going back to the video for a different view. Use more than one video. More than one book.

Not to mention.. TE likes to help members ;)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Thank you for all your posts.

The feedback iv got i think ill start reading threw my books as you guys have suggested and then go to the videos to see how it happens in the real world.

Any more advice would be great.

Once again, thank you. :)
  • Options
    pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    Good advice Roguetadhg. I am not studying for the CCNA and have no interest in it but that study approach is how I study as well while I am working on my certified ethical hacker exam and makes sense and good advice overall.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The OSI model, is important to get you to understand the concepts of how Network communication works. Yes it is very important in my opinion, but not to the point where you have every little detail memorized, but you should grasp the fundamentals. Everything is important. Don't take anything lightly.