Planning CCIE study repetitions

wavewave Member Posts: 342
Hi everyone,

I purchased Routing TCP/IP, Volume 1 and have logged a few hours of reading. I've been spending some time trying to nail a study framework to work from and have read various repetition strategies but would be keen to hear what others are doing.

I plan on preparing for the written and lab at the same time because I learn best this way. I like the idea of following a 4,7,12,20 day repetition cycle based on the blueprint topics. I figure it would take months (possibly up to a year) to cover all of the topics because I would be jumping back to repeat small labs and revise notes/chapters. (All of this is before getting serious about the lab exam, doing eight hour labs etc.)

Instead working directly from the blueprint topic by topic, I plan on reading Routing TCP/IP Vol 1, 2, mpls books etc marking off blueprint topics as I go. As soon as I have covered one topic I would enter a repetition schedule for it.

So the way I see it is this:

1. Read text book chapter, take concise notes and formulate questions and answers for revision. Do INE mini labs from Vol1.

2. Repetition schedule: Four days after first reading/labbing the topic. Re-read notes and answer questions formulated in step 1. Do one mini INE lab on the topic. Repeat this revision 4 days later, then 7 days after the first revision, 12 days after the second revision and so on. It may be possible to revise several blueprint topics in one revision session and I imagine it would be likely that several days of the week would become "revision days".

Peter from INE suggested using the SuperMemo method to formulate questions and answers Using SuperMemo without a computer as opposed to re-reading chapters which would be much more time consuming. Is anyone doing this? Or are you just re-reading chapters and notes?

Comments?

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP

Comments

• ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    #1 and #2 are basically what I did/am doing although I added the ATC videos in as well. It was basically read a chapter in the book, watch the corresponding ATC videos, do the vol 1 labs. Add to repetition calendar. Over time you'll find that some don't really need repeating because you do them all the time. It's not really necessary to do a repetition on how to add interfaces to an area. Narrow down each WB into 10-15 tasks that are less common and you struggle on if you had to remember them cold. You may even need to have a config file ready to paste in after the initial configs are loaded if the tasks rely on you doing the easier tasks that you don't need help on. Repeat them every 2-4 weeks as necessary.

I've used the Super Memo method from the start, although my Q&A are done via Anki. So it's not the exact scheduling system that Super Memo would use, but it's close enough. I would recommend you use an automatic flashcard system from day 1. As you go through explanations in WB I & II, you'll add more flashcards.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • wavewave Member Posts: 342
    Thanks this is helpful. I was contemplating those videos too. I was planning on purchasing the Vol 1 workbook to start and possibly the Advanced Technologies videos and getting the Vol 2 workbook when I'm ready to go hard out for the lab exam. I know it might be cheaper to buy everything in a bundle but I fear a blueprint change.

I see you got the INE All Access Pass. Did you buy the workbooks too? I haven't heard much talk about the Vol III or IV workbooks...

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    wave wrote: »
    I see you got the INE All Access Pass. Did you buy the workbooks too? I haven't heard much talk about the Vol III or IV workbooks...
    I've talked about them some in my CCIE thread. The VOL III workbooks are okay. I feel like they aren't putting much time into developing them though. I'm already very fast at the CLI. People I work with always make comments about how fast I type and I'm pretty efficient when using the keyboard in notepad (ctrl + H is your friend). So speed is not an issue for me. The VOL 4 troubleshooting labs are definitely harder than their VOL 2 counterparts, but with the new troubleshooting mock labs they just released, they may be redundant. They are worthwhile though since you are getting them for "free" with your purchase of the bundle which is mainly for WB I & II. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • wavewave Member Posts: 342
    Thanks! I'm just a couple of pages into your thread but it's very helpful. Are you hand writing notes to use for your revision/repetition or re-reading chapters and whitepapers?

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
  • PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    The fact you have a plan means your well on your way.. even if in 2 weeks you completely scrap it.. even if you never really use it!

Best of luck!
    CCIE - COMPLETED!