Options

The initial words

karson wongkarson wong Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi every guys,

I'm the new one to post in here. I'm prepairing to Network+. I hope you guy can give a advice how to remember the detail for the initial words in the networking like RIP, RAP,SCP,SSL..............so on! :P

Comments

• Options
    DapperDanDapperDan Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi every guys,

I'm the new one to post in here. I'm prepairing to Network+. I hope you guy can give a advice how to remember the detail for the initial words in the networking like RIP, RAP,SCP,SSL..............so on! :P

I found that when reading the study material (Text books, Tech Notes, etc) and you come across the "initialed words", say them loud (not too loud icon_wink.gif ). When you read RIP, say Routing Information Protocol, SNMP - Simple Network Management Protocol. I think you get what I'm trying to get across. I found in doing that I was able to remember them. Sounds corny but it worked for me.
  • Options
    paige1paige1 Member Posts: 117
    Welcome to the forum.

As far as what the letters stand for, that cannot be changed RIP will always stand for Routing Information Protocol.

In order to remember it I guess one could just say it over and over until it sticks

To know more about networking protocols you can go here:
    http://www.protocols.com/
    Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings.

Samuel Johnson
  • Options
    ad5mbad5mb Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Take notes.

When you take notes, the information:

Enters your brain through your senses;

Travels through your nervous system to your hand;

Gets written on paper;

Is read by your eyes;

And reenters your brain.

This reinforces the knowledge. Do it over and over and over again. Do it at breakfast and lunch and after work and in the carpool.

When I take cert tests - 2 or 3 a year - I frequently find myself "reading" the notes I wrote while studying. I can see the yellow paper and my sloppy handwriting.

The single best thing you can do to improve the efficiency of your studies is to take notes. Even if you throw them away without ever reading them. The act of taking notes is more helpful than the notes.
  • Options
    zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    ad5mb wrote:
    Take notes.
    The single best thing you can do to improve the efficiency of your studies is to take notes. Even if you throw them away without ever reading them. The act of taking notes is more helpful than the notes.

I could validate this method. When I first started the A+ and N+, I was at first reading the whole book at a slow pace, but it didn't register in my mind until my wife suggested me to take notes since this is the way to remember for many people (helped her through her MBA program).
    Having a bad penmanship and lazy at the same time, I grudgingly decided to prove her wrong.
    I took notes on both of these exams BUT passed them within 1 month! How could this be?!!
    I have heard this method before when a guy I worked with told me he got his MCSE 2000 by writing it all down! I thought he must of been a slow learner then, but here I am now....still taking notes as I read each page of the Ms Press book. Call me crazt now, but it helped me before, and I'm sure it will help me again.
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki
  • Options
    karson wongkarson wong Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi, all my new friend

Thank you for all your help. Since I download the Net+ Examination Objectives. I saw that the acronyms reference for the initialed words have more than four pages. I’m not a full time student I need to work at day time and go to college for learning some night. Also I’m not a native English speaker. It throws a scare to me! Do I need to remember all of the initialed words to pass the examination?
  • Options
    zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    Hi, all my new friend

Thank you for all your help. Since I download the Net+ Examination Objectives. I saw that the acronyms reference for the initialed words have more than four pages. Do I need to remember all of the initialed words to pass the examination?

Download this site study guide and yes, try to remember those acronym on the Exam Objectives. There weren't any question on my exam asking what each acronym is (but that doesn't mean it's not on the exam). The test the theory of networking. To remember what each acronym easier, know what each one does...in general, and you will digest them easier.
    This test is moderately easy with some knowledge of networking. I thought the A+ was hardier than the N+.
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki