Options

Please help me with Mock Enterprise Lab Setup

On a MissionOn a Mission Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, here is what I’d like to do. I would like to set up a virtual enterprise environment for hands on experience. This is not for any specific cert at this time but mainly for my own tinkering and again, for hands on experience.

I don’t need to know exactly how to figure out how to perform/setup each step; what I would like help with is a roadmap to set up a mock enterprise environment. For example, first setup Active Directory server, then, DHCP server, then DNS, etc. I have been a field tech for the last two years, so mainly a hardware guy.

Right now I have Win Server 08 R2 and 2012, Small Business 2011, Server 03, 1 XP machine, two win 7 one standard, one pro, one win 8 machine. I would also like to add some linux and Unix distros as well. I will soon have a technet subscription as well. All except the two windows machines will be virtualized.

So if anyone can help me with this mock enterprise setup I would appreciate it. Again I will figure out the configurations myself through research and experimentation but if anyone can help me with the infrastructure, such as Server 08 Box as DHCP Server, Unix distro as such and such etc.

I would like to set this up as close to something you would see in the real world in terms of infrastructure.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Comments

• Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Road map as in what should be in your enterprise?

When I set mine up I built a generic server VM and saved that to use as a templete to built everything else off of to save time. As for which OS to do what ... you can set up just about any of them to do whatever you want. 2012 or 08 R2 for AD, Linux for DHCP and or DNS, you can use Likewise (BeyondTrust Power Broker Identity Open Edition) to join Linux machines to AD. I'd say make both linux and windoes based servers and see if you can get different enviroments to work together (ie 2012 AD with Linux DHCP/DNS, or 2008r2 with Linux DHCP/DNS, or 2012 with Linux DHCP and 2008r2 DNS...etc). Very seldom will you see an enviroment use all 1 type or 1 edition of servers.