Options

Port security test help request

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
Can someone test this on their lap for me (dont have access to mine)

Can someone setup port security on a L2 Switch with a pc connected, have the port configured to sticky, then clear the mac-address table. we want to confirm if the "static" entry learned through sticky is cleared through that command. According to cisco, it cant be done that way, but Packet tracer appears to allow it. So we want to confirm on lab equipment. Can someone let us know how it works out? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    If I remember, Once it learns the mac address, it's added to the ports config.
    However If i was programming a simulator I might make it so that the learned 'sticky' address references an address somewhere else, so that's why it works in packet tracer.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agreed. I think packet tracer might be difficult to test something like this. You are trying to test and reproduce a physical problem logically. I would try and do a physical example if possible. The sticky command only allows for one static mac address, the 1st one learned. Anything else that is plugged in on the same port will err-disable the port after the static address is learned on that port.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    Well, we arent testing any physical connectivity, more the ability of the ios software to remove an entry from the table.

exactly, thats why we are hoping someone can test this on physical hardware. According to the release notes for 12.4, 12.2 introduced a change in catalyst switch that should prevent this (therefore, PT should be able to reporduce this condition, we tested this on a 2950 12.1 and a 2960 12.2.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I really need to bite the bullet and buy the switches I have been telling myself I am going to buy. I would test this for ya in a heart beat if I had the equipment. icon_sad.gif
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    As it turns out, on equipment, and in PT the mac is still retained in the IOS when the table is cleared, only in the running config, but it is cleared from the mac-address-table. We'll have to look at the cisco information to see if that matches up with what they say.

EDIT: Can someone test this on 12.4 or later? We just want to confirm as the cisco documentation states this shouldnt be possible in this version.