Options

MCSE 2012's ROI

uyen_nguyenuyen_nguyen Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, I am wondering if by having a MCSE 2012 cert will help for resume and salary increase? I am currently studying to become a cyber guardian. To obtain MCSE 2012, I need to pass 5 exams which would cost 5*150=$750 plus the training cost would be more. So what is your opinion? Thank you
English is my second language. My apology for my grammar errors.

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Any certification, MCSE2012 or other, aren't a sure ticket to higher pay. All companies look more than just someone with a certification on a resume.
    All companies look for someone with experience. A certification certainly helps, but you need to be able to back it up.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Any certification, MCSE2012 or other, aren't a sure ticket to higher pay. All companies look more than just someone with a certification on a resume.
    All companies look for someone with experience. A certification certainly helps, but you need to be able to back it up.

This!

What's that paper mean to me? Honestly, you would make it through the door at some places but any lack of experience would quickly show and I know I wouldn't want to be that guy. I've seen too many of them and it's sad. ha

People that think certs w/ no experience = money are in lala land. Cart before the horse mentality. So tell us more about your experience, because if you put a valid (as in actually know the material and not just memorize and pass an exam) MCSE on top of your experience, then you're golden.

I have no doubts you could do it, but being certified is relative. I think the question one should ask themselves when the time comes is "How will this certification benefit me and the career path I have chosen?" If your path is complimented by an MCSE, then work towards achieving it. If a Cisco certification is more aligned to your path, achieve that one etc.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?