Options

NEWBIE MCITP/CCNA Networking

danstardanstar Member Posts: 136
Hello All,

I'm only a new member here as I just bumped on this site. Well to start I have a passion for networking. I love it, I wish it's something I could do for every min of life jk :D I need help on what certs and classes should I take. I went to an institution close to me and I was asked to sign up for MCITP and on to CCNA and on and on.. I am really confused with these things. I'm just so new to it. I know how to mess up with cables, lans, wans.. just the normal do's and don'ts. I could share wan, 3g modems on as many pcs as I want.. but then this can't get me a job. I wanna get into it. I want to end up being a Network Admin/Network Engineer fixing and handling big servers and too many cables to look at and all. That's what I want. Anyone could lend me a hand in here ? Thanks ALL! and to add, I'm only starting my degree. I wanna do this while I study for my degree. I can do it - I beleive I can
Preparing for CCNA Certification :study:
Up Next: CCNP
Onto the Next: CCNA Voice
And Umm: CCNP Voice

Comments

• Options
    jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    one option I would suggest is look for internships to gain the experience for your resume. Get your CCNA and MCITP, study hard and apply yourself and you will be fine.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    See signature link.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    @jsb515, thanks a lot for your contribution.. also Roguetadhg, I saw your signature line. Will click on it once I post this in. Thanks
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm a little confused did you already sign up for the MCITP and CCNA training or you thinking about it? Will those classes be apart of your degree path?
  • Options
    Hi dmarcisco, I haven't yet sign up for it yet but I am thinking of taking it next year january. MCITP is for 1 month.. and CCNA is also 1 month. I'm thinking of doing it Jan/Feb and I just started my degree.. 3 years to go. I want to complete with Cisco.. CCIE the same I graduate so I can be job ready.. get an intership so as to build my resume.. to get a job.
  • Options
    Hi jsb and rogue, thanks all for your contribution. Will read through your signature link @rogue.. and I will do just as you said @jsb515.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok will you be working in i.t. or looking for a job in between? Because if you have 3 years to go I don't think it'll make much sense to really take all those cert classes now with a high risk of forgetting what you learned by the time the 3 years elapsed.
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    danstar wrote: »
    Hi dmarcisco, I haven't yet sign up for it yet but I am thinking of taking it next year january. MCITP is for 1 month.. and CCNA is also 1 month. I'm thinking of doing it Jan/Feb and I just started my degree.. 3 years to go. I want to complete with Cisco.. CCIE the same I graduate so I can be job ready.. get an intership so as to build my resume.. to get a job.

If you are referring to a 1 month bootcamp IMO they are useless. They cram material in your head without you fully understanding. I'd be shocked if anyone can go from zero to CCNA legitimately in 1 month.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Completely agree with xXErebuS. Also, CCIE is a great goal for a networker, so I won't discourage that; that being said, you do not need a CCIE to be 'job ready'. There are plenty of seasoned network engineers with only a CCNA, or no networking certifications at all. Take the time to learn the material, there is no rush.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Alright! Thanks guys for all the distributions. I think taking these Certs for now isn't a good thing. I'm confirming my admission for my B.C.A next year January and I will just have to focus on my studies. Will have to worry about certs in my final year or after graduations. Thanks everyone
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think a good move for you would be to get a good Network + study guide, and just study that, as if you were going to get certified. And if you feel like you want it go for the cert. The knowledge will help you in your studies, and help you with all the networking fundamentals. I sometimes feel college doesn't do a great job in teaching, and in IT, you honestly will learn even more if you combine it with self study on the side.
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cisco has a program offered at local colleges, it is called IT essential, and IT pratical. They are geared towards the A+ certification. Each class is one semester, you may take the both in the same semester.