Options

Help Desk Advice ?? HELP :-)

goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm about Half way through reviewing CCNA Exploration. So I can take the CCNA Exam.

The question I have is it worth going for a A+ Certification just to get my foot into Help desk to later advance into the world of Networking. My last job was a Technical Support Role which later turned into Customer service position.

I currently have no Certifications.. Only useless Associates and Bachelor Degree's

My last Bachelors degree was in Electronics Computer Technology with minor in infomation Technology. This was 3 years ago. So No longer qualify as a "NEW College Graduate."

Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Until then will earn the Cert to put on my Resume..
The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs

Comments

• Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How do you no longer qualify as a college graduate?
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I meant to say New College Graduate.. icon_smile.gif
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh - Well I don't think that is a negative. Anyway, I got my first helpdesk gig with no certs or prior experience. With an A+ I think you should be just fine, to be honest.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Relax. You have a Bachelor's in ECT, so that's always good to have on the resume. So is the experience.

I'm sure those from your neck of the woods will be better able to advise you on how to tune your resume better but a degree is worth mentioning. The industry certs will follow in time.
    Until then, keep your head down, concentrate on getting your CCNA and patience will be your best friend as you apply to jobs. The more certs you get, the easier it will become. Until then, be realistic and don't despair - patience and perseverance is key.
  • Options
    rstyrsty Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got my A+ and got a HD position within 2 months. Also, have AAS in Network Admin but I think the A+ does matter. Sometimes, this is required for a Help Desk position in bigger companies that have a credential template that they stick to.
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    YFZblu wrote: »
    Oh - Well I don't think that is a negative. Anyway, I got my first helpdesk gig with no certs or prior experience. With an A+ I think you should be just fine, to be honest.

This made me lol at my situation, where I'm from you can only get help desk with 3 yrs experience, a bachelor's, and maybe 2-3 certs. ( Reason why I'm relocating soon )

Anyway, those degrees should be worth much more than the A+ cert. They should be enough to land you a entry-level gig, as long as you're able to set up a good resume, and perform well on an Interview.
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    rsty wrote: »
    I got my A+ and got a HD position within 2 months. Also, have AAS in Network Admin but I think the A+ does matter. Sometimes, this is required for a Help Desk position in bigger companies that have a credential template that they stick to.

This is something that you can realistically come across. In that case, then yeah, I think it's worth having the A+ and maybe even a basic Microsoft certification, like Windows 7 configuring or something.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ismaeljrp wrote: »
    ...worth having the A+ and maybe even a basic Microsoft certification, like Windows 7 configuring or something.

Very true. Maybe less so in some countries, but very true in my experience here.